• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Peregrine Rods

Wayne Williams

Hello,
Hopefully not in the wrong section but here goes, I am about to order a pair of Perigrine Avon 11’ rods and was wondering if anyone on here has any and would care to give an opinion.

Thanks for looking.

Unfortunately a bit above my affordability range, but I've only ever heard VERY good things about them.

I learnt only recently that I can literally walk to where they're made in Midsomer Norton. Small world.

Hi is that the 1.6lb tc? If it is had one over ten years ago , fantastic rod, I sold it to a mate because I had a custom made torix , I do regret selling it, it's handled fish up to 15lb on it (sadly not mine😠).

Roger McCourtny builds a fantastic rod. The quality will be A1.
harrison 11ft Avon rod. I’ve got the 1.25 version and it’s a stunner. Great chub rod. Really light, bends forever and plenty powerful.

I have the 4 piece Wayne and use it for tench and chub....never had a barbel on it but have landed upper double carp whilst float fishing for tench in a snaggy pit...for which it coped admirably. Roger makes wonderful rods, you will not be dissatisfied

Alan,
What reel do you use on this rod ?
Daiwa 4012 or a Ray Walton rollin pin, depending on my mood....I think in this pic I have the pin on an 11ft gti and the daiwa on the Avon
3ACD0B27-198D-4548-AFFC-211F2E023D22.jpeg

Hello,
Hopefully not in the wrong section but here goes, I am about to order a pair of Perigrine Avon 11’ rods and was wondering if anyone on here has any and would care to give an opinion.

Thanks for looking.

If you fish a centrepin reel, ask Roger to fit the extra butt ring, as seen on his Paul4Barbel rod, it makes a huge difference 👍🏻

Does it hinder you if you use both sorts of reels ?
If a clumsy tw!t like me can manage it anyone can...in situation like this I just use the centrepin ratchet as a bite alarm and fish it as a sleeper...concentrating on the float

Sorry, I should have pointed out, I was referring to Neil’s post about the extra eye and whether it hinders you when you use a conventional reel.

Sorry, I should have pointed out, I was referring to Neil’s post about the extra eye and whether it hinders you when you use a conventional reel.

I have the Paul4Barbel rod and use it exclusively with a Centrepin. For centrepin work the extra line guide is brilliant and just makes life so much easier, when pulling loops from the line guides, for swinging the hookbait out. I’ve since had another non-Peregrine custom rod, modified in the same way.

Ive never used either rod with a fixed spool reel, but don’t see why you couldn’t use one with this configuration. Talk to Roger and see what he thinks?

Cheers Neil,
i’ll have a chat with him, might be worth having one of the rods with the extra eye as learning to use a centrepin is something I am looking forward to in my retirement.

I use the same blank brought from Davis tackle as their DT 1.4 AVON. an amazing rod, have landed barbel to 16lb this season on it.
It isn't undergunned at all, however I would only use in the margins of a big powerful river, it suits my local Kennet, Loddon and St pats

I have an 11ft Torrix 1.75 built by Roger. To say I'm delighted would be and understatement! First time out 12.03 from the Wye. Go on, treat yourselves. You can't take it with you!

Back