• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Peregrine Heavy Water rod

Don't know what mine is but its a flood rod i purchased direct from Harrisons. 12 foot with no test curve indicated on blank (not a Torrix). All i can say is that it is fantastic. lots of power in the butt and an incredible sensitive tip, highly recommended.

try having a chat with Roger at Peregrine rods, a nice helpful bloke who will tell you everything about the rod ect, i bought the peregrine flood rod as soon as it came out and never looked back, it can lob a heavy 6-8 oz load out comfortable and has a tip that will show up indications from small to big fish very noticea
:)

I think the Peregrine Heavy Water Rod is built on the Chimera 3 blank (I'm sure RM at Peregrine could confirm it). The Chimera 3 blank is, imo, the perfect rod for big rivers like the Trent. It will comfortably cast out 5oz feeders, or lob out heavier, yet the action is great for playing fish on. There is plenty of action right through to the butt section without being sloppy - quite like a scaled down good pike rod action if that makes sense to you.

Compared to the faster actioned Torrix 2.5lb, which I use for long range feeder fishing on still-waters and carping, the Chimera is the more powerful rod, better for casting heavy feeders and has a more cushioning in the butt section. Not necessarily a better rod - but better, imo, for barbel fishing.

Thanks for the replies. I already have the Peregrine Flood rod (11' 9") which to be honest feels a little pokerish.....that is, until you actually play a fish on it, which is when it comes into its own in a strong flow. I haven't got a pair and was toying with the idea of getting two of the Heavy Water rods. However, if the truth be told, I've got several other rods that will do the job. I suppose if every reply had said that they were the dogs danglers, I might have been tempted.

Joe, I read in another thread that Bob Gill doesn't like the Chimera 3 blank and feels there are better blanks out there for the price (haven't yet ascertained why).

It would be interesting to hear Bob's opinion, but rods are very subjective. Dave Lumb on the other hand rates the blank very highly - but I guess we all see things differently or rather have different requirements. It's not a rod for smaller rivers that is for sure. The Chimera 3 is essentially a 12 foot version of the Snag and Flood rod.

Try and use one if you can, I'll be on the Trent quite a bit towards the end of Oct and in in November and you would be more than welcome to pop down and try one out - the day ticket stretch I'll most likely be on only really requires one rod.

Can't comment on the Peregrine Heavy water rod.
However this season I purchased a chimera 12ft 1,3/4 barbel rod.
This has been used on numerous rivers from the Swale to fast-flowing deep swims on Trent and it has performed superbly.
I know it is personal choice but I wouldn't swap it for a torrix.

If the Peregrine HWR is based on a chimera blank I will probably invest.

S

Original had 'soft' carbon for the tip, this became difficult to obtain economically in quantities used - so a replacement was substituted. I'm pretty sure that the blank was NOT a chimera based one but not prepared to speculate on the 'base' blank any further.
The Chimera 2 is a fine rod, I used one quite happily for years until the Torrix and other blanks became available.
For blanks used typically for barbel fishing, the Chimera have a weave type carbon overlay on the butt section and this can extend into the lower parts of the tip section. The Torrix have a finer weave carbon on the butt and on the joint of the tip.
Personal preference but don't like the Chimera 3. Have at least one unused blank lying 'fallow'.
Hope this helps,
Bob

Back