• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Peregrine Heavy Water Rod 12' 2.25lb

Gavin Hoe-Richardson

Anyone got one of these who can offer feedback? Went looking for their mk2 Peregrine floodwater rods but they're discontinued. I've got a Chimera 3 and until a mishap this afternoon had the mk2 floodwater, wondered how they compared.

Anyone got one of these who can offer feedback? Went looking for their mk2 Peregrine floodwater rods but they're discontinued. I've got a Chimera 3 and until a mishap this afternoon had the mk2 floodwater, wondered how they compared.
The peregrine heavy water rod to my knowledge is a chimera 3

There is an old thread on this site from 2016 where someone is asking the same question
Mr Gill is “pretty sure the blank is not chimera based”
Are you still of the same opinion Bob?

There is an old thread on this site from 2016 where someone is asking the same question
Mr Gill is “pretty sure the blank is not chimera based”
Are you still of the same opinion Bob?
Think my comment was based on the original 'floppy' tip Mk1 rod. However apologise if in error.

Says a lot about loyalty to Harrison blanks and good rod builders. I think I got a pair new from Lumby 7-8 years ago and paid £200 each, he
expected it to have a bit of wear to the cork etc but still would have paid > £180.
So these rods( if I were to sell them which I won't) have cost me £20-40 over 7-8 years -about the cost of a pint to use one for a year!!
More ammo for the great " investment" spiel with Mrs R.

Thanks for the feedback gents, having discussed my requirements with the very helpful people at Peregrine I've decided to go with a pair of C3. They also offered a 2.25lb Torrix. I already had one C3 built by Chas Burns that had rarely been on the bank, dropped it off at his house and he's going to do me another to match it. They feel different to the Peregrine Floodwater which I've used extensively on the bigger rivers for three years but I'll get used to them.

Looked at the one on eBay as I'm in the York area this week but that white tip wasn't for me! Bargain though for someone who it didn't bother.

Thanks for the feedback gents, having discussed my requirements with the very helpful people at Peregrine I've decided to go with a pair of C3. They also offered a 2.25lb Torrix. I already had one C3 built by Chas Burns that had rarely been on the bank, dropped it off at his house and he's going to do me another to match it. They feel different to the Peregrine Floodwater which I've used extensively on the bigger rivers for three years but I'll get used to them.

Looked at the one on eBay as I'm in the York area this week but that white tip wasn't for me! Bargain though for someone who it didn't bother.
You won't be disappointed Gav. I used mine at the weekend on the Swale which was finally pushing through a bit and forgot how lovely they are. Still get good sport off shoal fish but will cope with anything that swims. I love the way you can just let the rod do all the work when you have a fish under your feet waiting to be netted, that through action just absorbs every lunge which as we all know is the time you're most likely to lose one.
The acid test for me has been full weeks on the Wye where it's busy fishing and I'm punching out and retrieving 3-4 oz feeders a good distance from dawn til dusk, 5 days a week and had a few good fish into the bargain. Them rods are put through some serious abuse and just a joy to fish with, year in , year out.

You won't be disappointed Gav. I used mine at the weekend on the Swale which was finally pushing through a bit and forgot how lovely they are. Still get good sport off shoal fish but will cope with anything that swims. I love the way you can just let the rod do all the work when you have a fish under your feet waiting to be netted, that through action just absorbs every lunge which as we all know is the time you're most likely to lose one.
The acid test for me has been full weeks on the Wye where it's busy fishing and I'm punching out and retrieving 3-4 oz feeders a good distance from dawn til dusk, 5 days a week and had a few good fish into the bargain. Them rods are put through some serious abuse and just a joy to fish with, year in , year out.
Agreed Paul. I was on the Trent last week, and the C3 didn't feel as though it was overtly over gunning the small barbel and they will cast big feeders all day long.

Back