• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Perch

My winter target was a 3lb perch and I was lucky enough to catch one last week, I'll keep plodding on now to see if I can get lucky enough to have a look at another one.

I managed to squeeze a few hours in at the end of today and winkled a few fish out. Firstly a couple of chub to just under 4lbs, then a perch just over 2, followed by another straight after that weighed 2.07lb.

Today was the first time I've caught a perch on prawns, previously the chub had always got there first. I baited with the little ones and then fished a king prawn on the hook. The bites were completely unmissable, which is always nice.

A couple of days ago on the Severn and at current high water levels, Perch options were somewhat limited at this height.

Had an idea of where may be fishable and fortunately it was. Started on a weedless Texas rig, but no interest from the fish. Switched over to a floating worm in a different colour and bang, an instant hit, with a Perch of 2.3lb landed. Another quickly followed of 2.1lb. Move up to the next swim and take another Perch of 2.9lb. Thereafter the tentative bites started with no hookups. Time for a rethink and out comes the dropshot rod, fishing a smaller similar coloured lure. This did the trick and another 4 Perch followed, all between 1.8lb and 2lb, and all caught really close in. I was starting to think that a dusk Perch feeding bonanza, may be on the cards, but then the howling gale got up, making finesse fishing, next to impossible.

Still a nice way to christen the new Westin T&C rod.

Attachments

• IMG_4776.jpeg
    IMG_4776.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 90
Afternoon Dan, on the float, with prawns today. I've been enjoying that 11ft acolyte and watching the float go under so haven't given the drop shotting a concerted effort yet. That and I'm conscious I'm crap at it 😂

Had a very nice last couple of days of the season up my local canal, just a few hours each day and I had perch of 2lb 10oz, 2lb 9oz, 2lb 4oz, 2lb 3 oz and two at 1lb 15oz.

Terrible photos as two of them I'm holding the fish one handed whilst trying to take a selfie on my phone, one a random cyclist took but as you can see not the best and a couple of them were so bad I deleted them.
Wish I'd just taken mat shots of all of them to be fair.

I used a simple float ledger rig with a small running lead, light as I've got pole float and fished with 2 Dendrobena's on a size 6 hook and just drip fed red maggot.
20240313_174653.jpg
20240313_163754.jpg
Screenshot_20240328_140147_Gallery.jpg
IMG-20240313-WA0025.jpeg

Back