• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pellets

Clearly Dynamite make some of their own pellets e.g. Robin Red pellets? Some of their pellets however, appear to be standard coarse fish pellets, which are then sprayed with colours and flavour?

I‘d wager that most if not all marine/trout type pellets are procured from the aquaculture industry and repackaged, or at least that used to be the case?

And re drilled pellets, that’s done so that farmed fish digest and break them down more quickly. It’s nothing to do with ease of hair rigging.
That's interesting. The holes are so small you wouldn't think that it would make any difference. Every day is a school day.
Cheers

That's interesting. The holes are so small you wouldn't think that it would make any difference. Every day is a school day.
Cheers
I agree, if you wanted a noticeably quicker breakdown then you'd need a much bigger hole in the pellet IMO. The hole is so small that water ingress into it isn't a given, especially if pellets are oily. Anyway, why drill them when they could very easily be extruded in tubes or even 'polo' shaped.

Dont know why sonubaits stopped doing their original elips , had a lot of fish on that bait, tried the flavoured ones but they were crap, and hve moved on to other baits, dont use any sonubait, ( just makes me wonder if any bait manufacturers read what we put on the site? And think we f+×ed up there, when they drop a bait) there is obviously a market there for elips pellet,
Regards

Dont know why sonubaits stopped doing their original elips , had a lot of fish on that bait, tried the flavoured ones but they were crap, and hve moved on to other baits, dont use any sonubait, ( just makes me wonder if any bait manufacturers read what we put on the site? And think we f+×ed up there, when they drop a bait) there is obviously a market there for elips pellet,
Regards
Yes they were a killer bait.

Bait companies don’t produce their own pellets, they are sourced from pellet manufacturers & some are sprayed with flavour & coloured & just repackaged by them. The reason Hinders & Sonubaits stopped selling their original elips pellets was because the manufacturer that supplied them stopped producing them

Two seasons ago I bought a load of Hinders Elips and feed pellets, very disappointed. Why? Because after just a few minutes the flavour/scent has washed out.

Some of the named pellets have changed a number of times over the years. Loss of colouring ingredients and cut in oil levels to name a couple.
Give me the original Elips and BFW Salips (the orangy coloured ones) anytime.
Agreed Bob the original BFW Elips were the best pellets I've used by a country mile,countless times I stood and watched barbel tearing at the river bed grubbing about for those pellets,it seemed like a instant response to them.

As a one-time, East Midlands-based tackle shop owner (between 2003-2010) and a confirmed barbel fanatic since a day's guiding with Trefor West on The Teme in 2000, where he introduced me to their amazing results. Subsequently, I recorded memorable catch rates across 14 different rivers, many successes from just one, first-time visit to unknown (to me) venues!!

I also, naturally, used to supply original Elips to many of my customers (mostly average carp-puddle anglers) who had never considered the possibility of trying for these 'mythical' river beasts (particularly as they had dramatically transformed my own previously poor catch rate and I wanted to share that virtually guaranteed result with other anglers).

Sadly, the manufacturers-a multi-million pound fish feed supplier (EWOS, based in Scotland) decided that these pellets were no longer a financially viable proposition (the level of orders from Hinders, Sonubaits etc. for them being a very small proportion: about 5-6% of overall annual sales) as they were not otherwise being purchased by the trout/salmon farming industry on a large enough scale compared to all the other pellets available.

I still have a reasonable stock of the last few Elips produced (like a previous poster, I visited several local/not-so-local tackle shops to purchase any residual stocks of (Sonubaits) Elips in small and large sizes. Despite my concerns about "shelf life" degradation they still produce results (drastically reduced sadly, however, from previous years by dint of the current problems Nationwide of predation, climate change and, most predominantly, constantly increasing numbers of us chasing exponentially fewer populations of our chosen prey😥

I put some of the original BFW Salips in the freezer when they too were discontinued. These were manufactured by EWOS (Dynamic Blue XL).
It was my intention to test these pellets from year to year. Until 4 years ago they were still effective as attractors and bait. Haven't really bothered since.
Cheers
Bob

I put some of the original BFW Salips in the freezer when they too were discontinued. These were manufactured by EWOS (Dynamic Blue XL).
It was my intention to test these pellets from year to year. Until 4 years ago they were still effective as attractors and bait. Haven't really bothered since.
Cheers
Bob

I was always amazed that none of the other bait resellers thought to ask EWOS what other pellets were available!

The Dynamic Blue and Red XL (our 'Sallips') were amazing, like a mega oily Ellips on steroids!

The Hallips we sold loads of were from EWOS as well and were loved by many. Another ellips shaped pellet but as a halibut feed. I still have some of these but am nervous about trying them as they're now years old.

Such a shame that EWOS changed their product line.

Cheers
Bob
I still have my stash Bob !! Friends have caught on them in recent seasons, so they are still doing the bizz ! Best pellets I've ever used.

I still have my stash Bob !! Friends have caught on them in recent seasons, so they are still doing the bizz ! Best pellets I've ever used.
Thought of you when I wrote the above post Paul and wondered if you had any left. Great to know they still work.
Cheers
Bob

Well some may say that I am biased as I am tied in with Hinders but I certainly wouldn't plug a bait that was inferior. I
have used Hinders elips old and new for probably 25 years and have seen absolutely no change in their effectiveness from elips shape to cylindrical. I am privileged to live on the crystal clear waters of the Hampshire Avon and can watch the fishes behavior when introducing any bait. I catch my share of fish from June right up until October and beyond on 2 large Hinders cylindrical elips cut down to a flat on one side and glued back to back on the hair.
It caught me the Avon record fish back in July, a fish that you are familiar with yourself Chris, and I have had a few others too. Its not until late October or into dark that I will switch to boilie and paste.
I have used the Sonubaits ones too and they are good but I'm not sure you can bulk buy in 10kg bags as you can Hinders, which certainly work out cheaper at £33.95.

https://hinders.co.uk/products/hinders-elips-pellets?variant=29577764306

Regards
John

Local shop in Birmingham still has the sonu baits elliptical pellets in both sizes although the date on them is June 20. Price is unchanged at 4.99 a kg.

I too use the Sticky Baits offering as loose feed, in conjunction with whatever is on the hair. The only elips pellets I used previously were sold by Teme Severn. and were fantastic. One of the team carried on producing (cylindrical) pellets, using the same formula following the demise of T7, but then stopped. Shame as I had a crisis of confidence (bait-wise) that lasted a couple of seasons.

Back