• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Paul Witcher reels

Two absolutely beautiful Carters on the bay at the moment. Those with serious money only need apply.

Yes, she's a real beauty, Paul. I take it that's your one?

Interesting that the estimate is lower than on that other one that was in slightly less condition. I'm assuming that's either because the other one didn't get what Mullocks thought it would, or, more likely, a lower estimate gets the punters through the door on auction day. Seeing what other, more readily available Aerials fetch I still reckon north of fifteen hundred anyhow.

It really is a stunning reel, perhaps the best Allcocks ever done. Nicer even than the Coxons, in my opinion. If the numbers come up then I'll be there, seeing off all comers.

Yes, mine for the past 38 years and so fine I could only bring myself to use it three times in the mid 1970s for some very brief, careful, fine weather trotting on the Avon around Salisbury - I was aware that it was special even back then.

Doesn't stop from giving a pretty fine 1915 Aerial bought at around the same time some regular on-bank hammer today, though!

Crikey! On an estimate of, what was it, £1200 -£1500? I knew that would get serious money though; It was a real beauty, afterall. A nice little touch for you though, Paul.

On one level I feel sorry for the poor thing as I suspect it will never see the light of day now. And when you've just dropped that sort of money on such a thing who can blame the new owner for that.

Back