• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Paste

John Monaghan

What do you thinks makes a good paste to wrap round a boilie/pellet?
Last few weeks in the high waters i've used all my left over nearly empty bags of boilies and pellets and just crushed them all up together.
Its worked OK but now i need to start afresh and dont fancy buying a bag of each.

Stu
Most of the fish have come to a simple pellet with paste around it.
The last batch i knocked up had 3 flavours of boilie and a bit of fishmeal in it to bulk it out.
Dont fancy buying 3 bags of boilie again to make paste but may be am just being to predantic an just keep to location baits.;)

john
when i get out , which isnt that often these days , and i use 2 rods , one rod is allways a boillie rod . the guy who makes my bait for me just makes an extra half kilo of paste at the same time and doesnt boil it , simply bagging it up and freezing it

that goes round my glugged hookbait for boosted attraction

i have at times ground the pellets i also get from the same guy , simply adding 1 egg and knocking up a basic pellet paste for the other rod

i like to keep things simple and concentrate on other things

What do you thinks makes a good paste to wrap round a boilie/pellet?
Last few weeks in the high waters i've used all my left over nearly empty bags of boilies and pellets and just crushed them all up together.
Its worked OK but now i need to start afresh and dont fancy buying a bag of each.

i,ve been playin about with paste for quite a few months, but i use ingriedients from the kitchen, some i,ve made have attracted the chub and some i,ve made have attracted barbel, well 2 to be honest and they,ve both been a curried fish paste. mine dont break up in cold water however they do have a natural oil leakage even in the coldest of water leaving a nice scent trail, i,m always messing about trying to make new baits so give us a shout if i can help, if a chef cant make a decent paste who can lol
cheers
jerry

Think your right mate,to much thinking about it when the simple usualy works for the Barbel.
Will pick a couple of kilo of my usualy boile in the morning and crush half of it.
Unless i fancy the Chub then will get my cheese paste out!!!

Thats what i did last week mate,although ive started to tinker with my own baits and ive not seen much difference in catch rates yet but its nice to catch on your own bait.

John, try a search on paste & boilies on the site. There is a wealth of info here & on the old site. Try to come away from crushing boilies as it is kind of going round in a full circle of using cooked ingredients to get back to the ingredients. As highlighted, a simple effective (cheap) paste could be your favourite pellet ground up fine & bound by the addition of water then wrapped round your favourite bait. Another could be the use of 3 or 4 base mix ingredients bought from a decent outlet. One could use an egg to make sure it absolutely binds, but that can sometimes be overkill especially in colder months. Flavours & additives not always needed neither.

As Jerry outlined, making a paste is simply akin to the olde kitchen skills. Start off simple & extend yourself from there.

Just get your favourite flavour of boile in it's base mix you can then add whatever you like or just leave it as sandard.
The other thing is you can make a variety of different shapes ( something different) if you want to use it on the hair

for paste just roll a slab out 30 secs in the pan then On a drying rack, after chuck it in the freezer.

Last edited:
As said above just buy a base mix to match your boillie. A good one I've found is The Source and you can use the shelf life boillie or just make a few up with some of the mix.
I always use egg to make my paste but each to there own.
If you want a good cheap paste just use ground fish meal mixed with egg. I only make one egg mixes this way I'm using fresh paste' although it freezes realy well.
You can also put a few bit's of paste on pve string or tape as a way of getting a bit of loose feed in to your swim.
In warm weather I just use pellet but once it starts getting cooler I always use a wrap round a boillie.
I've been using a crab one made by three rivers rolloing' they make the boillies and paste. The is not cheap at £4.99 a pack but I've had great results on it this season.

for paste just roll a slab out 30 secs in the pan then On a drying rack, after chuck it in the freezer.
Dont boil it at all!. Just mix and roll into tangerine sized balls. Freeze and use.

Back