• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Paste

Lee Backshall

Good morning to you all.
I'm usually a once in a while river angler, but have decided now is the time to really give it a serious go all through autumn and winter and do my best to learn to fish flooded water.
My local river is very pacey at the best of times and in flood she's a beast.
My main questions are.....can anyone share a good recipe for making decent paste for Barbel and Chub?
And do you switch to heavy leads and dismiss feeders in said conditions?
Many Thanks
Lee

I just put boilies in a cheap food blender then add a small amount of water for the correct consistency.
if you make your own boilies just don’t roll or boil them and let the paste dry out out a little and wrap in clingfilm

Use a boilie base mix and recipe as Kevin said but miss the boiling stage out and you’ve got a perfect paste for the job.

Go easy on the flavor mind. Really easy. Paste is a lot more potent than a boilie having not gone through the boiling process so I would use less than half the flavour in paste as I would with a boilie

Use a boilie base mix and recipe as Kevin said but miss the boiling stage out and you’ve got a perfect paste for the job.

Go easy on the flavor mind. Really easy. Paste is a lot more potent than a boilie having not gone through the boiling process so I would use less than half the flavour in paste as I would with a boilie
Thanks.

Good morning to you all.
I'm usually a once in a while river angler, but have decided now is the time to really give it a serious go all through autumn and winter and do my best to learn to fish flooded water.
My main questions are.....can anyone share a good recipe for making decent paste for Barbel and Chub?
Many Thanks
Lee
Lee add a small quantity of glycerine it's super sticky ideal for paste thank me later 😁

Lee, a simple and cheap recipe I have used previously is mixing Dynamite Robin red groundbait with some eggs….makes a nice pliable paste to wrap over boilies or pellets. If you use the method mix version it will take longer to break down in the water if you just want to use paste. I’ve only used the Dynamite RR groundbait but I’m sure any decent mix will work.
Mashed luncheon meat and breadcrumb with egg has also worked in the past. Give it a go and start experimenting with own mixes etc….as soon as you start catching on your own bait this soon becomes almost as obsessive as the fishing itself!

Good morning to you all.
Many Thanks
Lee

What are you looking to use the paste for? Just to wrap around your hookbait or to use as a free offering too? I tend to make the paste up quite differently depending on the intended use.

As Alan above, any suitable ground bait mixed with an egg.

Meaty marine halibut makes a decent paste. Beat the egg into a bowl first then add the gb until you reach the required consistency.

Failing the above, take a quantity of Halibut Pellets and put them into a bowl, fill the bowl just below the level of the pellets with hot water and leave overnight as Steve says above re trout pellets . In the morning the pellets will have absorbed the water and with a bit of kneading you will have a nice maleable paste that wraps around your hookbait, if you want it a bit stiffer then add some halibut pellet powder to your requirements, you can also add breadcrumb, or any other powdered groundbait mix to stiffen it up a bit.
The paste freezes very well. I usually make up enough to make about a half dozen fist sized balls of paste and it lasts me quite a few sessions.

I do not know anything about boilies or other manufactured for fishing baits, Halibut Pellets are all that I use because on the waters I fish they are a staple bait used by most anglers and the fish are more or less conditioned to them , its just “Matching the Hatch” as fly fishermen say.

Interesting about the mashed Spam Alan !

David

Failing the above, take a quantity of Halibut Pellets and put them into a bowl, fill the bowl just below the level of the pellets with hot water and leave overnight as Steve says above re trout pellets . In the morning the pellets will have absorbed the water and with a bit of kneading you will have a nice maleable paste that wraps around your hookbait, if you want it a bit stiffer then add some halibut pellet powder to your requirements, you can also add breadcrumb, or any other powdered groundbait mix to stiffen it up a bit.
The paste freezes very well. I usually make up enough to make about a half dozen fist sized balls of paste and it lasts me quite a few sessions.

I do not know anything about boilies or other manufactured for fishing baits, Halibut Pellets are all that I use because on the waters I fish they are a staple bait used by most anglers and the fish are more or less conditioned to them , its just “Matching the Hatch” as fly fishermen say.

Interesting about the mashed Spam Alan !

David
Used to put it through a grater first then mash with crumb and egg……then just a drier mix for feeder.
Pretty sure it was something I read about in a Peter Stone book as a chub bait??
Don’t know why I stopped using it tbh, think I got sidetracked with JB baits pastes.

DNA baits secret 7 boilie paste is a very good paste bait just as it is. Firm enough to stay on the hook, easy enough to stike through. I keep some in the freezer & use it all winter for chub & in flooded summer conditions for barbel. I'll sometimes put a bit of PVA string around the hook & pinch 3 or 4 bits of paste on to that to the scent. Not too expensive & saves buying kilos of individual ingredients.

I just put boilies in a cheap food blender then add a small amount of water for the correct consistency.
if you make your own boilies just don’t roll or boil them and let the paste dry out out a little and wrap in clingfilm
I love fishing with paste. If your local to me, I have some I'm willing to let you have😊

I would look online at companies that can supply the base mix & Liquids etc and choose one that you fancy trying.

I'd lessen the recommended flavour levels slightly, than you would for the recommended boilie receipes, because your leaving out the boiling process, which would otherwise boil out the flavours somewhat.

You can add some cod liver oil or other fish oils in warmer months to give the nutritional benefits to the fish & make the paste pliable.
And in winter I add some veg oil or sunflower oil to keep the paste soft in cold water temps to stop the paste going too hard, which can stop you homing in the hook upon a strike.

Just my way of doing things, others may offer better alternatives 😊👍

Last edited:
I love fishing with paste. If your local to me, I have some I'm willing to let you have😊

I would look online at companies that can supply the base mix & Liquids etc and choose one that you fancy trying.

I'd lessen the recommended flavour levels slightly, than you would for the recommended boilie receipes, because your leaving out the boiling process, which would otherwise boil out the flavours somewhat.

You can add some cod liver oil or other fish oils in warmer months to give the nutritional benefits to the fish & make the paste pliable.
And in winter I add some veg oil or sunflower oil to keep the paste soft in cold water temps to stop the paste going too hard, which can stop you homing in the hook upon a strike.

Just my way of doing things, others may offer better alternatives 😊👍
Where are you based?

That’s not a good thing David.
Halibut pellets are 40% oil. That’s like us being conditioned on a billy bob fry up
Good point Richard.

I was not aware of this, and probably a good percentage of everybody using them arent either. Are trout pellets the same ?

I could also ask what is the percentage of undesireable content in in the hundreds of bags of other processed baits sold to anglers .
Nobody mentions the fat content of Spam and similar baits although they are used by the wagonload .

Maybe we should all just use worms, maggots , pulses and bread, which to be truthful is about all I ever use on stillwaters , in fact I could say that on stillwaters I almost totally use “ corner shop bait “
For instance yesterday fishing a local pond I was catching carp to about 10 lbs using just bread, and chickpeas.

Interesting . I wonder if the increasing specimen weights of some freshwater fish is down to the fact that anglers baits are more easily digestible and in some cases fed by the bucketload ?

David

trout pellets the same ?
Not sure. I don’t think used in moderation any bait is going to cause them harm,
it’s when it’s piled in without thought as lots of people do.
I often think is that really a good thing?
I could also ask what is the percentage of undesireable content in in the hundreds of bags of other processed baits sold to anglers .
I dread to think. Some of them never go off and absolutely stink. I would imagine not very good at all.
Nobody mentions the fat content of Spam
For me spam is a bit different because it’s really only used as a high attraction hook bait.
It’s not getting handfuls thrown in the river.
However your right. Fat content is really high.

I wonder if the increasing specimen weights of some freshwater fish is down to the fact that anglers baits are more easily digestible and in some cases fed by the bucketload ?
In many cases yes I reckon that's a big factor. An abundance of high protein baits designed to be easily digested (pre-digested fishmeal etc).

A changing climate, in particular less severe winters also a big factor.

Trout/Halibut pellets - designed for aquaculture systems where the aim is for rhe fish to grow rapidly, but not to live long lives. Neither play a part in my fishing anymore.

Back