• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

PALLATRAX GRIPZ HOOKS

Adam Wylie

Senior Member & Supporter
Does anyone use these hooks as an alternative to barbless hooks ?
if so ,how do they perform , when playing and unhooking fish ??

I've used them before. I found them very good. Sometimes a little trickier to remove but nothing to worry about. Haven't seen them in the tackle shops for a while though.

I've used them before. I found them very good. Sometimes a little trickier to remove but nothing to worry about. Haven't seen them in the tackle shops for a while though.
Available on our site shop on this very forum/website 😁

I bough a few packs before, but I must say I must be cursed when using these hooks, I lost one pack of hook in snag without catching a single fish, and that was two sessions...

I’ve used Gripz for at least the last three seasons.And rate them very highly.I fish a small weedy river,and have not lost a fish due to hook failure.The barbel and chub more often than not bury them selves into the streamer weed,and I can slowly slacken off letting them swim out without losing a fish.
And not had a problem with unhooking,they just come out as would an ordinary barbless hook.
I had chub to over 5lb.on a size 16 and small pellet,and barbel to just under 10lbs. on the size 10,which is my preferred size.
As you can guess,I’ve 100% confidence using them for my type of fishing.

Exactly as previous post
I’ve had to back off on weeded up fish and never had one come out, yet they come out of the fish like a dream
Absolute confidence in these hooks, strong as hell , sharp and a doddle for quick unhooking and minimal mouth damage which has to be good
Been using at least 3 seasons

I use Gripz wide gape,not the cheapest of hooks,but it’s buy 4 packs get the 5th.free.But you are talking pence,when you think what you spend on other tackle.

I've been using Gripz off and on for a few years now, and exclusively this season, and have found them to be very sharp excellent hooks. Anyone that's looked at the "Photos of River Scenes" thread recently will know that I've been fishing the Teme this season for barbel (yeah, basically 'banging my head against a brick wall" 😂 ), and although I've not landed a single barbel, every single bite I've had has resulted in a landed fish (albeit chub and bream). I'm using their straight point hooks plus a kicker (+a Korum Quickstop) and I'm not getting the usual bumps and bangs ... just unmissable takes every time. And yes, usually I'd be trying hard to avoid hooking chub/bream that might disturb the swim, but on the positive side, I'm now more confident that if a barbel (the one and only barbel left in the Teme?🤣) does show interest in my bait, I won't get 'done' (see close season discussion(s) on 'getting done'). The rig works well, and if I decide to try to avoid the chub and bream I'll just lengthen the hair.
Great hooks ...and better than traditional barbless IMO.

I've been using Gripz off and on for a few years now, and exclusively this season, and have found them to be very sharp excellent hooks. Anyone that's looked at the "Photos of River Scenes" thread recently will know that I've been fishing the Teme this season for barbel (yeah, basically 'banging my head against a brick wall" 😂 ), and although I've not landed a single barbel, every single bite I've had has resulted in a landed fish (albeit chub and bream). I'm using their straight point hooks plus a kicker (+a Korum Quickstop) and I'm not getting the usual bumps and bangs ... just unmissable takes every time. And yes, usually I'd be trying hard to avoid hooking chub/bream that might disturb the swim, but on the positive side, I'm now more confident that if a barbel (the one and only barbel left in the Teme?🤣) does show interest in my bait, I won't get 'done' (see close season discussion(s) on 'getting done'). The rig works well, and if I decide to try to avoid the chub and bream I'll just lengthen the hair.
Now I find that very interesting.Food for thought over using straight point hooks with a kicker,while I‘m using wide gape with an inturned beak.
I don’t necessarily need an inturned point,as the river bed I fish is mainly sandy rather than stones.
I’ve never used kickers or quick stops,the stops could be a real winner for me,with my bad eyesight and the way I struggle with tiny bait stops.

Off topic but are the Korum Quickstops good for thicker diameter line/braid?

Off topic but are the Korum Quickstops good for thicker diameter line/braid?
I use quickstops most of the time, with lines up to 10lb b.s. The biggest problem is getting the line to pass through the quickstop. I have found 1) cut the line at an angle to form a point on the end 2) push the line through the stop whilst it is still attached to the plastic moulding. This way you know which way the hole is (it is not very visible) and secondly it's easier to hold the quickstop this way. I have tried to thread braid but found the strands separate and stop it going through the hole.

Back