• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pair of Shimano 3500B reels

This just goes to show how fickle the tastes in rods/ reels etc is .
The 3500 BR has been iconic for years and practically unobtainable .
2 reels in tip top condition are almost being given away and nobody wants them !

Give it six months and they will probably be the fashionable “ must haves” all over again.

David

This just goes to show how fickle the tastes in rods/ reels etc is .
The 3500 BR has been iconic for years and practically unobtainable .
2 reels in tip top condition are almost being given away and nobody wants them !

Give it six months and they will probably be the fashionable “ must haves” all over again.

David
I’ll speak freely now that Rob has voided the sale.
The problem with the B is it belongs on powerful rods that a barbel angler would like to use for heavy lead and long chucks.

It doesn’t have the casting ability to go with its body size and weight and I’m surprised it was as popular with barbel anglers as it got because to me it’s a highly impractical reel.

Had it been 4oz lighter or the spool 10mm longer then the whole thing would have made more sense.

However where I do see them being extremely useful and highly popular is short/med range deadbaiting.
Size and weight wise they work perfectly on light/medium pike rods where flicking baits into margins and drains would be ideal.

I think the OC is a more practical reel and I think a lot of barbel anglers would also agree and the OC is probably one of the reasons why these iconic fat ladies are not as popular with barbel guys as they once were.

I’ll speak freely now that Rob has voided the sale.
The problem with the B is it belongs on powerful rods that a barbel angler would like to use for heavy lead and long chucks.

It doesn’t have the casting ability to go with its body size and weight and I’m surprised it was as popular with barbel anglers as it got because to me it’s a highly impractical reel.

Had it been 4oz lighter or the spool 10mm longer then the whole thing would have made more sense.

However where I do see them being extremely useful and highly popular is short/med range deadbaiting.
Size and weight wise they work perfectly on light/medium pike rods where flicking baits into margins and drains would be ideal.

I think the OC is a more practical reel and I think a lot of barbel anglers would also agree and the OC is probably one of the reasons why these iconic fat ladies are not as popular with barbel guys as they once were.
Appreciate the input Rich, but they'll always be my fav barbel reels, just because I'm used to them, I'm not one for long chucks anyway. My thinking is, if i was on the opposite bank, and i spotted a nice looking area on my side, would i be able to cast to the same spot accurately each cast. But now i am on that side, its just a small lob to that swim. And now I have 2 pristine examples, I'm a very happy bunny.

Last edited:
Appreciate the input Rich, but they'll always be my fav barbel reels, just because I'm used to them, I'm not one for long chucks anyway. My thinking is, if i was on the opposite bank, and i spotted a nice looking area on my side, would i be able to the same spot accurately each cast. And now I have 2 pristine examples, I'm a very happy bunny.
There’s no question I’m definitely in the minority Derek.
There’s loads of B fans out there for good reason I’m sure.
They are a bloody good reel and absolutely bullet proof. I just would change afew things to make them more to my taste that’s all

Back