• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

over flavouring

Graham Billingham

Not been the best of times to try it but not caught anything on it yet.I've got some garlic spam ,added some more garlic powder and chilli powder and a bit of something else. It stinks to high heaven and can still get wiffs of it a couple of days after using it. What i should like to know is am i doing more harm than good by going over the top with the flavouring. If i want to add my own flavouring to meat should i start with just the standard spam.
Need to know soon as my first double is still waiting for me out there :rolleyes:

When there is 10 foot plus of murky floodwater raging through, then a smelly bait is easier for a fish to find IMO.I think that creating a good scent trail is important in these conditions. Then you are just relying on the hookbait with no feed. I think if you were to use really over flavoured/smelly baits all the time, or in normal conditions, then the fish may become wary of them. As i have heard on other threads about flavours, strong flavoured baits "blow" much sooner than say a subtle flavour, which would probably catch for much longer.

Julian,
Your right fishing a flooded Teme i only over flavour the hook bait,they don't get any free offerings what so ever flavoured or not.
graham

Hi All,

Regarding the over flavouring of hook baits only I like to use a small over flavoured boilie but overloaded with a liquid food not a synthetic flavour, then wrap the boilie in some soft matching paste also well overloaded with liquid food IE CSL or fish protein or liquid liver, seems to work ok for me.....:)

Back