• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Our John OK? ?

Jeff Collins

No Longer a Member
Not seen much of John Walker posting lately? Hope all is well with him, hopefully bagging up on the Thames. Anyone shed any light???

I also noticed this Jeff, hope Mr Walker is too busy catching fish to post. Also noticed Mr Gauntlett has been quiet. Hope both men are fine and doing okay.

Hi Derek, I am not too bad mate. I have issues which prevent me carrying much gear now, and that not very far...but I console myself with the odd fact that not going fishing has not affected my catch rate too much. My wife has sadly had a cancer relapse and as a result is undergoing more chemo. She had to be rushed to hospital about ten days ago with a life threatening infection, which is always a risk when undergoing chemo. What with that and the trials and tribulations of two autistic grandchildren, my time is pretty well taken up....fishing at the moment comes a poor second.

I would love to say that the fish are all sighing with relief, but the truth is they are more than likely missing their regular comedy show...my efforts have kept them in stiches for years :D:D

As for my not posting on here too much these days, same problem. Mind you, that WILL have brought about a few sighs of relief :D:D

I must say that I too am worried about John, I am aware that the poor chap has suffered a lot for some years, though John is not one to complain. Lets hope he will pop up with a few typical 'Johnisms' before long :D

All the best, Dave.

It's certainly not easy with autistic children David, I have a 6 year old with ASD and there are always new challenges we come up against.
I have an older step son at 24 who has aspergers also.
My parents are almost 70 and they do struggle with him at times.

Regards
Dave

Hi Dave. You have my sympathy.

My nephew who lived down the road from you had Aspergers and Epilepsy. Awful hardships.

I truly hope your Wife responds well to the offered treatment. Chin up mate.

It's certainly not easy with autistic children David, I have a 6 year old with ASD and there are always new challenges we come up against.
I have an older step son at 24 who has aspergers also.
My parents are almost 70 and they do struggle with him at times.

Regards
Dave

Hi David,

As you no doubt know Autism, ASD, Asperger's syndrome, epilepsy and all the other variations of this wretched problem are all linked to some degree, and sadly are hereditary. My eldest daughter suffered from stress related epilepsy (Sadly, she died in her early forties from breast cancer, bless her), my son has Asperger's, and now both of my youngest daughters children have Autism (both now teenagers).

Despite the genetic tie-ins, it does seem to jump generations in some way, because both my youngest daughter and myself seem to have escaped the worst of the associated issues. Having said that, I suffered debilitating levels of shyness as a child, which led to some bizarre behaviour, and that is a symptom of Asperger's. I still have that issue to a degree now...but you find ways around it as best you can.

However I won't go on, because next comes the hereditary nature of cancer, and my guilt complexes are bad enough as it is. And not least, it is a fishing forum after all. However, thanks for all your good wishes chaps, appreciated.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave, so sorry to hear about your good lady's relapse. You know i'm here for you if you need to talk.

Best wishes
Derek.

Thanks for starting this thread Jeff. What a great bunch you all are on this forum. My very best wishes to those of you not enjoying the best of times right now.

Thanks for your kind thoughts

Hi guys, got rushed into hospital on the tuesday before xmas, kept there until the thursday after new year, ending up a much lighter trimmer ans feeling great now, Dave, grab a powa walker trolley mate, it,ll solve most of your problem with carrying gear, any way thanks again guys but your stll stuck with me :D

Great to see you in print again John. Glad to hear you are feelin' good :)

Glad to hear you're ok John :)

Back