• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Otters, signal crayfish, mitter crabs and now this......

The Chairman on Friday

Subject: Immigrant Ninja Turtles

Big, hungry, foreign and over here - ticks all the boxes!

As ever,

B.B.

people dump all sorts into the waters, i wish they wouldn't
from goldfish to this...grrrrrr

Watford Piscators' Rousebarn lake. Never fished anywhere like it, before or since. On a hot day several years ago a friend and I counted a dozen or so Terrapins on the surface basking away without a care in the world. Added to that, grass snakes and adders everywhere; a real reptile's paradise. On a serious note though, the Terrapins can deliver a nasty bite, as well as carrying Salmonella. Not good.

Haydn

he could've at least caught a pretty one.
no joking apart there were some released into middle pool in telford once but they were all (3 or 4 i think) recovered some how.

Oh yes...that takes me back....'salmon' Ella. Quite a few of us were brought up on her....she was called that because she sm....nah, you don't wanna know about that :eek:

:D:D:D

Cheers, Dave.

I remember seeing terrapins in Baylis pools, Shifnal, as a kid, my friend even caught one on luncheon meat!
The place is frequented by far worse things now mind!

Oh no, people will be seeing these everywhere now, just like the hundreds of otters!!! :rolleyes:

sam n ella....isnt that humpty dumptys mum n dad ?????????

Oh no, people will be seeing these everywhere now, just like the hundreds of otters!!! :rolleyes:

Unlikely, they rarely leave the muddy depths, let alone the water. Mind you, a big one might take off an Otter's or Cormorant's appendage, if it gets within range? :D

They were banned from being imported into the EU some years ago, but there will be quite few out there in the canals, ponds and lakes. The Common Snapper is more likely since they range into more northerly climes (Canada) and they're tough as the proverbial Old Boots. There were also more of them in the trade than the "Alligators".

Do NOT stick your fingers near one, they strike as fast as a Rattlesnake and can easily take off a finger or three.

I've always refused to stock them in my shop. :cool:

Back