• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Organised coach/minibus trip

David Traynor

Hi, with the recent petrol costs going stupid, getting to rivers can be quite expensive, so I was wondering if anybody has ever thought of organising a coach trip to certain rivers. I used to go to one years ago, but it has since fizzled out. We would set off pretty early (5.30) We had a meeting point, we would leave our cars and then set off to the river.
Everyone chipped in and got to go to some great rivers.
Just a thought

Funny you should say that ,but living in the barbel baroness known as Devon I am in the process of arranging monthly trips to rivers such as the Wye, Severn, Hampshire Avon and Stour , plus any others the chaps want to suggest. We will be meeting at a local tackle shop who has allowed me to put some posters up , M5 jcyn 28 easy access to the road networks :)

Lots of interest and looks like we might have our first trip arranged for July

The way forwarrd for guys like us who want to fish good waters for quality fish :)

I suppose it is just a cyclic return to how fishing clubs were formed and ran many decades ago. However, in those days we had a effective rail system ( know I'm not old enough to remember). As you say Dave makes sense with the current cost of motoring.

Where to park for your meeting point though? Most car parks charge extortionate amounts for all day parking. Service areas on motorways/supermarket/out of town retail parks car parks slap a big charge on you if you stay more than 2 hours.

Unless of course it is different where you live.

Yes, this was a pub car park, who some body knew. But to be honest the coach picked up at about 2 or 3 different places. It was a great get together with everybody after the same thing, good company, great rivers and sometimes good fishing.

Funny you should say that ,but living in the barbel baroness known as Devon I am in the process of arranging monthly trips to rivers such as the Wye, Severn, Hampshire Avon and Stour , plus any others the chaps want to suggest. We will be meeting at a local tackle shop who has allowed me to put some posters up , M5 jcyn 28 easy access to the road networks :)

The way forwarrd for guys like us who want to fish good waters for quality fish :)

Just don't be bringing them to MY bit:mad:

Which is your bit of the HAvon Mark ?? I'll be keeping that "bit" quite mate as I'll be there a fair bit over the season :)

Neil,

Why are you not plundering the extensive shoals of Barbel on your very own River Culm......?

You did well to get a coach to take anglers, most refuse. That was one of the main things that led to the demise of many fishing clubs.

Neil,

Why are you not plundering the extensive shoals of Barbel on your very own River Culm......?

ha ha you jest sir !! I live right on the Culm and the whole reason I joined BFW along with other whisker fishing sites was to see if I could gleen any info about the unicorn known as the Culm Barbel...

They are legendary ... with only 2 pictures on the whole tinterweb of reasonable sized fish and 1 picture of a baby Barbel. I have spent many hours last Sept / October walking the banks with my polarsied goggles , droppping in hemp and caster looking for the mythical beasts...

When flooded ( most of that time ) I fished the gravelly runs with streamer weed hanging on against the extra 6ft of water pushing down the river all to no avail.

I have spent more hours during February just walking the banks and have identified possible new areas where this creature may lie .... I may even invite fellow members along for a weekend or two of unicorn spotting to see if their infinite experiences may help produce this rarest of species ...

The Culm Barbel !!

:)

That sounds like a lovely challenge Neil, when the weather`s right!:)

Last edited:
ha ha you jest sir !! I live right on the Culm and the whole reason I joined BFW along with other whisker fishing sites was to see if I could gleen any info about the unicorn known as the Culm Barbel...

They are legendary ... with only 2 pictures on the whole tinterweb of reasonable sized fish and 1 picture of a baby Barbel. I have spent many hours last Sept / October walking the banks with my polarsied goggles , droppping in hemp and caster looking for the mythical beasts...

When flooded ( most of that time ) I fished the gravelly runs with streamer weed hanging on against the extra 6ft of water pushing down the river all to no avail.

I have spent more hours during February just walking the banks and have identified possible new areas where this creature may lie .... I may even invite fellow members along for a weekend or two of unicorn spotting to see if their infinite experiences may help produce this rarest of species ...

The Culm Barbel !!

:)

Neil,

Very interesting, I had penciled in some time to do exactly the same and walk the river and try and spot said fish when conditions are right. If you ever fancy some company when you are on your next spotting expedition drop me a PM and I will try and make myself available.

I have a great fondness for the Culm, its a pretty river and one that you could just imagine a few Barbel making a home in after swimming up from the Exe, where they are still as rare as hens teeth, but they are there in very low numbers. I used to fish it back in the late 60's when it was home to some large shoals of Dace to a high average size which would brighten up even the coldest winter day, however I think those days are long past.

Back