• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Opinions on a starter centrepin and line advice

Morning all

Has anyone got any tips for spooling up with line the (Right amount)?

I currently distance stick it of the spool then load it in the garden not to have to much or to little.

Dan

Dan sounds like your doing it right to me. I don't use distance sticks rather a good old 8 Meter tape measure in my back garden. Again I'm not expert but I'd personally suggest going on the edge of less than more. Think about the longest trott distance your likely to do then as 15 meters. You can always run down steam if you hook a monster and run out of line 😀

Morning all

Has anyone got any tips for spooling up with line the (Right amount)?

I currently distance stick it of the spool then load it in the garden not to have to much or to little.

Dan
Work out what 1 turn of the reel puts on and just count turns.

Diameter of an empty spool + diameter of full spool divided by 2 gives you mean diameter

Mean diameter x 3.14 for circumference
Circumference x your reels gear ratio will tell you what you put on per turn.

👍🏻

Unless your worried about your line bedding in, no harm putting extra line on. You may need to strip line off while your on the bank, so leave yourself covered.
100 yards go on my pins
If I’m on the Trent or somewhere where a 50-60 yard trot is possible I’ll do it.
You only really get bedding issues when you hook something close in with a mostly full spool of loosely retrieved line.
A short bait less trott down afterwards soon solves it and your up n running again

How far you might trot will depend on the rivers you are fishing. I can well understand someone fishing somewhere like the Warwickshire Avon believing that putting fifty yards of line on a pin as being a bit excessive. I recall fishing a match down there and being a little surprised to get an irritated "Oi!" from the unseen next peg down after trotting a stick little more than ten yards.

However, I fish rivers that often aren't pegged at all. Even where they are, the gaps between pegs can be further than you could see the biggest of floats. I invariably put approximately 100 yards of line on my reels and will trot as far as I can see (provided there's no one below me). I rarely use tiddly little stick floats that are barely visible, on a good day, much past twenty yards. The only minor issue I've ever had putting this much line on a pin is a little bit of bedding in when I've just tangled with something decent. It's cured entirely after the next unsuccessful trot through.

Last edited:
Back