• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Opening day

Anthony Pearson

Now I know there's a lot of if's and but's about these questions, so here goes. What tactics do people tend to use on a small river during the first few days of the season (assuming reasonable river levels, the fish have just spawned and the weather is favouable etc)? Should I be using a moving or static bait bait and out of interest a natural or man-made one? Finally, is it a good time to catch barbel or are we better off waiting a while? I know I'm chomping at the bit to get on the rivers but my opening days aren't always what I'd hoped.

If your fishing a small river finding them first with Polaroids and a bit of bait is key they will no doubt be around the spawning sites usually spawning from mid May to mid June but this can vary greatly depending on weather conditions. On my local I can be confident that as much as 20% of barbel might just be in one spot! Although thats due to dwindling numbers but to be honest there will be a queue a mile long to fish it in the first 4 weeks

On the Yorkshire Ouse rivers, I don't expect to catch many barbel until well into July. Plenty of chub make up the numbers though. As I haven't bothered with either of my usual club tickets this year, I doubt I'll be chasing any Swale barbel until well into August, if at all, unless we have some decent floods.

I am in Chris' camp here, in as much as I dont tend to start my barbel fishing until they have got some condition back after spawning and most likely wont cast a line for them serioiusly until late August providing conditions are right......

on a small river be prepared to fish into the dark. Patches of bait in 2 or 3 swims to which you can cast into in the dark without putting light into the water. If you can not fish after dark, standard stuff, deeper bits with cover near the shallow gravel runs. Any bait you have confidence in. Hope this helps. If all else fails, look forward to the autumn.
Shaun

I find in the first 2 weeks after spawning the fish are ravenous and suicidal so most tactics work just as well as any others.

Back