• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

oohh at last its hit the fan !!!!!!!!!!

I'm surprised that anyone is naive enough to think that the likes of Paul and Bob spend all day fishing and everything that is on film is caught by either of them. It's genteel entertainment, not the A-Z of how to fish... it's not meant to be taken too seriously.

Paul can obviously catch a fish. Despite the name its more a comedy sketch than a fishing program isn't it. The fishing is just a facilitator. I'm not sure anyone is putting it in the same conservation as tackle company films or John Wilson?

Perhaps it's also been a lesson in putting people on pedestals, thou shalt not worship false ididols.
I met a well known barbel angler a few years back and initially I didn't recognise he was the same chap on the front cover of a book I have.
Anyway he seemed like a nice chap..very chatty and open, but later I began to realise that this chap didn't exactly stick to the rules!
My admiration and respect soon faded away!
I guess we are all different really but personally it just wouldn't sit right with me if I was 'bending the rules' and I caught that 'special fish'

I'm borderline heartbroken about MB if I'm honest. A guy that I have followed my whole life. Does it warrant him having his entire career taken away? Absolutely not. But can't help feel so disappointed about the video. Perhaps I'm too naïve.

I have heard some nasty stuff about him over the years.

I have heard some nasty stuff about him over the years.

My view on back-stabbing, gossip and malicious rumours is that it usually says more about the people making the remarks than it does about the object of such comments.

Talk about the mob and whipping up social media hysteria - I'm more disappointed with this thread than I am with MB. I thought we were better than this.

My view on back-stabbing, gossip and malicious rumours is that it usually says more about the people making the remarks than it does about the object of such comments.

Talk about the mob and whipping up social media hysteria - I'm more disappointed with this thread than I am with MB. I thought we were better than this.
I think it boils down to pure jealousy as he is undeniably one of the best all rounders thats been.

Better than what? discussing a subject that relates to angling and the integrity of it?

Us forum members have done no wrong by discussing and offering opinions on the matter, which ever side of the fence you sit, some may think he's at fault (I personally reserve judgement until I know the full facts) others will find an excuse to excuse him but to label us/we "a mob" is a bit extreme!

Many years back, on the Cemex Burghfield stretch of The Kennet, I found myself a couple of pegs away from MB - we were the only two idiots on that stretch thatday. It was very cold and frosty and we both blanked. He came and chatted several times and we discussed bait and tactics etc. Late in the afternoon he asked me what time we had to be off the water (Cemex rules) and on time he tackled down and walked back to the car park with me to sleep in his van ready for the following day.

I believe he said Ian Welch had given him permission to fish for a couple of days. Yes, he was a celeb then but he was particular in following the club's rules with no attempt to ignore or bend them.

I found him very engaging and a nice guy. This could be a false impression based on a brief encounter but I hope what he is being accused of is untrue.

I think it boils down to pure jealousy as he is undeniably one of the best all rounders thats been.
I agree with that statement, but I also think (being as I am, very average angler) that if your put onto a venue & noted swims by a close circle of so called high profiled sponsored anglers, & do enough hours camped out for weeks on end, behind the rods at these places, the fish will eventually slip up, which to my mind doesn't make you a gifted angler.

I'm definitely in the mindset that alot of these special fish are caught in this manner, for the blogs/papers/mags etc.

Back