• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

one rod or two

Oh bloody hell :rolleyes:

Why does there have to be a definitive right or wrong method? We're all grown ups, so let's just agree to trust each others discretionary opinions/ choices based on hugely differing circumstances.

Have a lovely afternoon!!! :D

What's a "barbel angler"?

Or a "carp angler"?

Dunno about you lot but I'm an "angler". And I fish for a whole bunch of different species including the above.

I also fish for many of them with two rods, whether it's on a lake or a river.

I don't go around telling people their second rod is a "death trap" and I'd like to know whether Mr De Lancey has any evidence that his "tethered" barbel came as a direct result of fishing two rods.

I doubt it.

"barbel can cover ground rapidly, which will almost certainly end in the fish being tethered in a snag by the time you have buggered around with rod one."

ALL fish can move quickly when hooked, but if you don't fish near snags, you won't have such a potential outcome. Your dismissal of baitrunners applies just as equally to centrepins (the original baitrunner), so a little less snobbery please. They're both just tools. :rolleyes:

Some people need to switch off their sirens and sort their attitudes out.
If it was any other species being discussed, this thread wouldn't have even have got off the ground.

Oh bloody hell :rolleyes:

Why does there have to be a definitive right or wrong method? We're all grown ups, so let's just agree to trust each others discretionary opinions/ choices based on hugely differing circumstances.

Have a lovely afternoon!!! :D

Seeeee....theres always one person who has to go and spoil it all by being reasonable :D:D

Actually, what you are saying Stuart is not a million miles away from what Colin said in the summing up at the bottom of his post above yours. Not that I would want to be found agreeing with anything Colin said for heavens sake :p

Cheers, Dave.

What's a "barbel angler"?

Or a "carp angler"?

Dunno about you lot but I'm an "angler". And I fish for a whole bunch of different species including the above.

I also fish for many of them with two rods, whether it's on a lake or a river.

I don't go around telling people their second rod is a "death trap" and I'd like to know whether Mr De Lancey has any evidence that his "tethered" barbel came as a direct result of fishing two rods.

I doubt it.

"barbel can cover ground rapidly, which will almost certainly end in the fish being tethered in a snag by the time you have buggered around with rod one."

ALL fish can move quickly when hooked, but if you don't fish near snags, you won't have such a potential outcome. Your dismissal of baitrunners applies just as equally to centrepins (the original baitrunner), so a little less snobbery please. They're both just tools. :rolleyes:

Some people need to switch off their sirens and sort their attitudes out.
If it was any other species being discussed, this thread wouldn't have even have got off the ground.

Oh NOOOoooooo....yet more common sense :mad:.....what the hell is this forum coming to :p

Cheers, Dave.

I think when this thread reached its seventh page us advocates of common sense just lost our patience and had to say something!! :D :D

Dare I say "barbel police"?

No not at all, but that's the sort of response that is ever more apparent on here when a few challenge the so called 'norm'. The OP put up a new thread and of course it was to divide opinions, so are we all supposed to agree there there is no problem with using two rods? Or do we all blow smoke up each others backsides and dismiss the others that dare to have an opinion that might differ to yours.

Barbel Police?

Up yours:p

Whenever I can, I fish 2 rods with different baits until I know what they are taking - then I get my other 2 rods out with the same bait.

No not at all, but that's the sort of response that is ever more apparent on here when a few challenge the so called 'norm'. The OP put up a new thread and of course it was to divide opinions, so are we all supposed to agree there there is no problem with using two rods? Or do we all blow smoke up each others backsides and dismiss the others that dare to have an opinion that might differ to yours.

Barbel Police?

Up yours:p

Nice to see you took it with such good grace. Why did you automatically assume that I was addressing you?:confused:;):p
I've no problem with anyone having a differing opinion. I've no problem with people going about their fishing in a different manner. I do have a bit of an issue with being labelled as irresponsible and the like. The idea that everything is quite as black and white as it's being painted is laughable. There seems to be some rather large assumptions being made about complete strangers by the "one rod only" brigade. Horses for courses and do as you will, provided it's legal. Allow everyone else the same latitude.

My barbelling is on "small" rivers, but what would you count "feet" as? I've fished with baits 10 ft apart and caught on both rods. A couple/three feet is probably a waste, as you say. I may have rods 4 to 6 ft apart in terms of flow (one in the flow, one on the crease), but one further downstream by a rod-length or so; if room permits a feeder approach on a particular line with a "sleeper" rod same line downstream; it's just a question of degree?

I'm not saying you're wrong, just questioning your reasoning and rigidity.

I fish this way on the lea. usually with a feeder rod upstream that normally produces a fish or two, as it gets dark I concentrate on the downstream rod with a larger bait this works well early in the season.

Got a feeling from reading all the posts on this thread that

1) We are all competent anglers
2) No stupid answers have been given
3) Logic has been used in all cases

Most important of all

I think that if the people who use 2 rods get alot of action on both rods at the same time will take one line out and concentrate on one rod only

I know i would

Ray

Back