• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

One for the twitchers....................

You have to wonder how the energy expended/gained equation works when you see a bird of that size putting that much effort into catching a dragonfly :confused:

Cheers, Dave.

Yes likely a Hobby though bare in mind they are summer visitors and as things stand there are very few in as yet (6 records so far this spring on Rare Bird Alert) Expect more throughout April.

It most definitely wasn't a Red-footed Falcon (rarity and too early).

Sparrowhawks and Merlins can look dark in certain lights.

Neil

Andy....................... plonker!

How is the chilly north me old bud, are things good?

Tom,

Are you sure, reason I ask is your orginal description mentioned: 'a smallish (Kestrel sized) bird of prey swooping over a ploughed field. It appeared to be black all over with white undersides'

Male Hen Harriers are more Buzzard sized and are not black all over.

Top birds though and one of my fav's!

Neil

Birds

Hi

Does anyone know of a good bird book with lots pictures to marry up with what we see
(I don't mean one with just Tits in it)

Thanks

Mike

Hi Neil,

I have spent ages looking through various websites and that bird is the best match i can find. I saw several yesterday closer than the first one which was briefly first thing in the morning and i am sure that that was the bird.................. i could be wrong though.

Hi

Does anyone know of a good bird book with lots pictures to marry up with what we see
(I don't mean one with just Tits in it)

Thanks

Mike

Hi mike Iv got loads of bird books il dig one out for you if your willing to pay the postage il send you one, however probably the best book is the collins bird guide especially for raptors as it gives you pictures of the first few years of the bird with colour changes etc
Regards.

Have to agree, IMHO there is only one field guide worth investing in:

CLICK HERE

Definately right Neil, I used to be very keen Iv travelled all over the U.K birdwatching in my past, and that's the book to have although I have the 1st edition the second has got to be as good personally if I was to buy a book there would be no other to look at!!!

It is not too early for a Hobby they have been reported for a week or two now, and I saw one over Ivy Lake last Saturday.

Hi Tom,
only 1 breeding pair of hen harriers in England this year sad news indeed, plenty in Scotland though.If you have seen one in the south could be a male march harrier.

Last edited:
Back