• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

one for the cane'n'pin boys...

Haydn Clarke

Senior Member & Supporter
Chapman Or Agutters Blanks?

If you were building a rod which would you go for? I would like to have a crack at making an 11' barbel rod, of which agutters make a blank for; chapmans don't. So clearly I have no choice but to use Agutters. But what's troubling me is that Chapmans appear to be much more expensive on their blanks when compared like-for-like on rods such as a Mk IV; £247.00 Chapmans as opposed to £136.50 plus vodka for the Agutters. This has me wondering if their is something I should be aware of when using Agutters. Are their rods inferior, or is it just that Chapmans are expensive? Your thoughts please gents.

Regards,
Haydn

I saw Agutters prices and was very suprised that they could sell cane blanks at such a price and actually make any money. I haven't seen one of their rods but would certainly be interested in peoples views. I have watched the making of a split can blank, using quite up to date technology and despite all the help of modern equipment it is still both highly skilled and time consuming. Given the low production levels for split can blanks I would have thought that a higher price would be required to actually turn a profit. Perhaps the Agutter blanks are sourced from the USA, where a bigger demand can lead to larger production runs and therefore lower prices? This is certainly true of both split can and carbon fly rods from the USA which are produced in larger numbers and can be top quality at prices that start to rival the lower quality stuff from China.

Hayden, Using cane is a very subjective experience and not one that everyone enjoys, however, I know that there are quite a few weeks work involved in making a rod from scratch.

I ordered one from Andy Sliwa last April, he is a good up and coming rod maker, his rods are excellent for the money.His barbel rod 'The Teme' took about 25 weeks, now im not saying that he could have done it quicker but there are other things to consider ... I for one didnt appreciate everything that went into such a craft. The varnishing and drying takes over a month.

A mass produced carbon rod can cost a lot of money too, but if youre worrying about the cost of cane (which has to be a factor) just understand that its handmade and a thing of beauty,Then the price wont feel so bad. !

Sorry Hayden but ive no experience of Agutter or Chapmans, for me it was as simple choice , Barder too expensive .. look for someone else. !

andy

Last edited:
I've used blanks from both, but own an Agutters 7' 4 weight fly rod that I built myself quite a few years ago.

I really love the rod - as it was my first self-build cane rod, but have since used better rods. I'd say the price is a good guide as to the quality because the Chapman 6'6 4wt I've used feels better. However, whether this is the case for all the blanks I dont know. I doubt you'd be disappointed with either!

Maybe they can offer blanks for this price because they are cut on milling machines - as are Barder's. This, I'm sure severly reduces build times in terms of man hours and produces much more consistent results with less effort. Although the USA argument described by Pete is also interesting

Having made my own rods from scratch without machines etc... I can vouch for the effort and time it takes. Its great fun though and really rewarding.

Cheers
Adam

Thanks for the replies gents. I am already familiar with Chapman's rods as I have a 550 carp, which, I have to say, I am rather happy with. Only problem with these old carp rods is that they tend to be a little bit on the short side for barbel fishing and also a tad stiff. I might still have a go at an Agutters as it will be my fist build(from the blank up) and as a test run it's probably best not to spend too much on a blank. I suppose my best bet would be to get over to Agutters and have a look at the blanks they have on the shelf (if they have any on the shelf). As long as the blank is of reasonable quality I am more than happy that I can make a decent(ish) rod out of it. I have recently re-finished a few rods and I am quite confident that I can get an almost profesional standard of finish.

Regards
Haydn

Just a personal view, but here goes. I have used Chapmans blanks and Agutters blanks in the past, and when working at Kingfisher's Of Stow (a much-missed cane and pin emporium) handled hundreds of rods by many makers, including these two. I have more rods than I need, cane and otherwise, but if i wanted a blank for a reasonable sum nowadays, Chapmans every time. For me, the extra is worth it. As I say, just one opinion.

Andy Sliwa has restored several rods for me (i'm picking up another three tomorrow) and he's very good, and sensibly-priced. The stand-out one for me was when I bought a Mark IV, unseen, in a Research and Conservation auction - it was terrible, big set, white-painted tip, just terrible. Two months and a few quid later, it was good as new. It has also stayed straight (they don't always) after a busy summer on a wildie lake, and some irresponsible ferox fishing with it on Windermere. A top class restoration, at a total price that would make collectors weep.

Then there's fibre glass...now that's the real stuff..

Back