• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

On the Fly....

Not as yet, Lester, but really ought to give it a go. It's quite a common method in Spain, I believe though I've no idea whether they catch on dry, wet or nymph.

I've caught barbel on the fly from Teme, Wye, Kennet and Ribble, along with several other anglers, Richard Walker mayfly nymph has proved the best pattern. If you need further info please e-mail

A friend of mine caught one on a gold ribbed hare's ear once (with a tin head). Imagine a PTN would work well also (again with a heavy tin head). I think the key is ensuring it is bumping the bottom so some of the Czech nymph style heavy inverted bead heads would be my first port of call. Would imagine a Killer Shrimp with a lead under-body would go well also.

Those Spanish barbel are far more predatory than ours and also readily take drys/lures/livebaits from the vids I've seen. There is also a French fellow that used to have a few vids up nymphing for 'normal' barbel and doing well.

Never tried myself mind...

Geoff Franks from the WGA had a double on a Salmon fly at The Nyth on the Wye a couple of years back. Biggest surprise wasn't that it took a fly, it was where it was holding station. The rocky gulley through The Nyth is as far removed from what you imagine to be Barbel habitat as you can get.

Never had the luck of landing a Barbel on the fly but plenty of Pike on a wet fly

Back