• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Old Tackle that should comeback

There is no fishing on that upstream bit now Albert until you get to the paas bit. I used to like the bend by the fishing hut, loads of barbel in the bottom end of that pool.

adrian now called the riverside inn.my wife and i used to book a week-end there when we could get away from the business.grab this.a fiver for bed and breakfast.
albert

I miss proper fairy liquid tops - the kind you could use as a bobbin, and which could (by those in the know, which is to say, those who'd read Jim Gibbinson's 'Carp' book in the Osprey anglers series) be enhanced with an isotope. That said, I don't miss the tangles around the butt ring when a 'screamer' developed and the bobbin spun a little web.

I love to get my hand on some of the old washing up liquid tops as well.They be spot on for what I want

I wouldn't get too hung up on them Dean (if you'l excuse the pun) sure they were evocative, bringing back fond memories of times gone by....but they weren't actually that good in all fairness. As a relatively free running improvement over the silver paper tube etc. forerunners, I suppose they weren't bad, but they did cause tangles, and they were fiddly both to put on and especially to release when you had a bite.

There are countless cheap, modern, vastly improved self releasing versions in any shape, weight or colour you could possibly want on the market now, most of which will take an isotope or starlight if you wish. Leave the old washing up bottle tops firmly in the bin of time where they belong :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
The Chairman on Monday

Subject: Harem Scarems & Alarums

Nothing, to my mind, has still to beat the old (young Victoria head, by preference), pre-decimal, balanced copper penny trapping the reel line against the upper edge of an empty tin of Uruguayan bully beef. A little awkward to set up but, Oh!, when the penny dropped!

As ever,

B.B.

There are countless cheap, modern, vastly improved self releasing versions in any shape, weight or colour you could possibly want on the market now, most of which will take an isotope or starlight if you wish. Leave the old washing up bottle tops firmly in the bin of time where they belong :D
Used to make my own - ping-pong ball painted a garish Fire-Orange threaded onto some thin cord with hair grip at one end - pushed into the P-P ball. Hair-grip gave the quick release. The cord meant it stayed fixed to the bankstick and not floating down the lake.

The Chairman on Monday

Subject: Harem Scarems & Alarums

Nothing, to my mind, has still to beat the old (young Victoria head, by preference), pre-decimal, balanced copper penny trapping the reel line against the upper edge of an empty tin of Uruguayan bully beef. A little awkward to set up but, Oh!, when the penny dropped!

As ever,

B.B.
some old boy only a few years ago was using something like this to catch eels from the frays.

Normark Titan 2000 Float Rod, I still think it is the finest float rod ever made, I have a 14' version but it only gets used on very special occasions :)

I think an un-used 13' version was in the "ebay madness thread" and went for over £600, I remember paying near £300 for my 14' version almost 20 years ago :eek:

The Chairman on Monday

Subject: Warem Scarems & Alarums

As ever,

B.B.

I got the werewolf for 6 empty Tudor crisp packets:D

Bite indication hasn't been the same since they stopped wrapping Kit Kats in tin foil.

If you're old enough, you will understand.

I used to fish an old brick pit which had a chippy behind one of the best swims, I used the tin from a chicken and mushroom pie as an indicator and chips for bait, (all the kids threw their chip papers in at lunchtime).

I had worked the old pennies out Tony, but have you worked the Werewolf out?;)

Bite indication hasn't been the same since they stopped wrapping Kit Kats in tin foil.

If you're old enough, you will understand.

At 39 not sure if I am too old but my older brother put me on to that along with fairly liquid tops and his favourite bait below that tended to fly off despite using a small twig/reed for a stopper

campbellsmeatballs.jpg
[/IMG]

Back