• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Old rods

Dave Merrick

Clearing out my grandads garage sadly, and have come across some old gear, various bits and pieces including a Shakespeare super wand (1881 or 1887?) with three extremely fine tips. Also a split cane coarse rod, and another cane fly rod which could be older than man itself by the looks of it.

Any know of any vintage tackle experts who could take a look at the cane rods and let me know if theyre anything useful?

Ta

There's a guy in Essex who advertises to buy old tackle on Gumtree. I spoke with him once and he was very helpful.

Clearing out my grandads garage sadly, and have come across some old gear, various bits and pieces including a Shakespeare super wand (1881 or 1887?) with three extremely fine tips. Also a split cane coarse rod, and another cane fly rod which could be older than man itself by the looks of it.

Any know of any vintage tackle experts who could take a look at the cane rods and let me know if theyre anything useful?

Ta
The Shaky wand is indeed a special bit of kit, I had this rod back in the 90's and if I remember right the tips are stored in the butt. Couldn't really get on with it and moved it on. Guess it might fetch around the £40 mark.
The old cane rods are worth looking at, is there any makers mark? Condition is everything, I have sold some old cane rods and was surprised as to how much they fetched.

The Shaky wand is indeed a special bit of kit, I had this rod back in the 90's and if I remember right the tips are stored in the butt. Couldn't really get on with it and moved it on. Guess it might fetch around the £40 mark.
The old cane rods are worth looking at, is there any makers mark? Condition is everything, I have sold some old cane rods and was surprised as to how much they fetched.

Your right Neil. The Shaky Sigma wand (1880?) was a highly rated bit of kit back in the day, not sure if the 1881 or 1887 is in the same category though. I'd suggest putting it up for sale on an Ebay auction (at least 10 days).

Your right Neil. The Shaky Sigma wand (1880?) was a highly rated bit of kit back in the day, not sure if the 1881 or 1887 is in the same category though. I'd suggest putting it up for sale on an Ebay auction (at least 10 days).

The wand is immaculate and a quality looking bit of kit, looks too delicate for anything but the lightest canal work/small rivers/streams. 3 tips in the butt section a small someone said

I'll get some pics up later in the week when there again. Don't think the rods are anything but old tat but was just intrugued as to age and what they are etc

I'll put a vintage reel with the one rod and use for sentiment!

The original sigma wand was a highly rated rod but one sold last week on ebay for £14.99 plus p and p, with only one bidder and the last few have also gone cheap or not been bid on because the start price was too high around £30.The sigma mk11 version and newer types seem to fetch better prices, i guess its how people fish nowadays that drives prices.Does your rod have rings to hold the reel on or a screw fitting

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 404
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 327
I assume the picture is the fly rod? Snake eyes and the position of the reel seat looks like it. It does look like a 1960's 'kit' rod that were very popular, I inherited similar from my Uncle, still got a couple one is a very nice Mk IV Avon, but for some reason he put the reel fitting near the butt end, I intend to move it where it should be...or rather replace with sliding alloy fittings.
The cane looks good from the pictures, of course the whippings need re-doing and the whole butt needs stripping and replacing with cork, and if you want fit some simple alloy ring fittings to secure the reel. Do the ferrules knock? these type of fittings often do, but can be repaired. Make a lovely traditional poachers err travel rod I reckon. :)

Looking at the cane fly rod, I am fairly sure it is a 60's Japanese import, as Neil says.
The ferrules have the typical ridged shoulder feature and are chromed Brass, The handle is reversible, making the rod a combination rod ,it can also be used as a spinning rod . The reel seat is more than likeley made from thin steel,and I suppose would rust if guven the chance, although I could be wrong on that on.
I have a split cane tip section from one of these rods myself, the rest is missing.
As Neil says, imported in the 60's and were regarded as a childs/boys hobby rod, not expensive when new, there are still many examples of them around , they were originally sold as a kit in a wooden box,with a few flies, a couple of spinners and a line winder, Despite being the cheapest end of the market they can still be made to look acceptable if rebuilt, although I doubt anybody would use one.
A few examples turn up of the"bay regularly.

Dave

Dave,
I have an original 1880 wand in my collection and it won me a fair bit of cash back in my match fishing days when they were the method for river Roach in Yorkshire with 1LB bottom and size 24 hooks with the original Drennan maggot feeders.
Second versions were not as good.Due to the delicacy of the tips originals are hard to find mine are all a few inches short.
If you wish I would take it for reasonable money.Pm if you interested.
Ken

Looking at the cane fly rod, I am fairly sure it is a 60's Japanese import, as Neil says.
The ferrules have the typical ridged shoulder feature and are chromed Brass, The handle is reversible, making the rod a combination rod ,it can also be used as a spinning rod . The reel seat is more than likeley made from thin steel,and I suppose would rust if guven the chance, although I could be wrong on that on.
I have a split cane tip section from one of these rods myself, the rest is missing.
As Neil says, imported in the 60's and were regarded as a childs/boys hobby rod, not expensive when new, there are still many examples of them around , they were originally sold as a kit in a wooden box,with a few flies, a couple of spinners and a line winder, Despite being the cheapest end of the market they can still be made to look acceptable if rebuilt, although I doubt anybody would use one.
A few examples turn up of the"bay regularly.

Dave
that's what immediatetly came to my mind, daiwa sold this type back in the 60s

is there any more photos of the othersDavid, I still collect and renovate the odd one here and there mate

is there any more photos of the othersDavid, I still collect and renovate the odd one here and there mate
Stuff all over the place at the moment with the house being cleared and sold Here's a few of the wand but can get some better pics. Will get the other cane one up when I'm back there. Found some old sea rods too! Noticed some damage to the wire on the 1st eye of mid section of the wand. The eye itself is straight and it's solid as a rock but the wire seems to have been bent at some stage. Shame as that aside it's mint

Attachments

• IMG_1452.JPG
    IMG_1452.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_1453.JPG
    IMG_1453.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_1455.JPG
    IMG_1455.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_1456.JPG
    IMG_1456.JPG