• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Okuma Pulzar 4000

Ben Jennings

Fancy a new reel and having spent all my life using daiwa and shimano reels, feel the quality lately is definitely not what it used to be. I was looking online ans saw the okuma pulzar reels. The 4000 looks like the ideal size with me and has a baitrunner plus is only £45. Anyone use these reels, what are they like? I abuse my barbel tackle, it gets thrown through bushes to get to spots and lives in my van alongside my plumbing gear, so want something robust.

i bought 2 okuma 6000 inceptions for the trent not used them for fishing yet but first impressions i’m very impressed.. the best line lay i’ve ever had on a reel.. my only gripe is they don’t have quick fold handles

Only ever had experience of Okuma Longbow baitrunners ,very dated now, but they are as foolproof, tough and reliable now as they were what must be 15 plus years ago .They have quickfold handles, line lay superb, all metal body, spare spool included . They are the only Okuma freshwater reels I have used .If I needed another baitrunner even though they are so dated I would not hesitate to get another .
I have had Okuma multipliers in for service and tbh not impressed with them, it seems that the multis had gears made of plasticine , they were much “ newer ‘ than the Longbows .
David .

Bought one last year, and its a little beauty, I use it for lighter work and its just fine. Most of my reels are Shimano, but I don't expect these reels to last as long.

Fancy a new reel and having spent all my life using daiwa and shimano reels, feel the quality lately is definitely not what it used to be. I was looking online ans saw the okuma pulzar reels. The 4000 looks like the ideal size with me and has a baitrunner plus is only £45. Anyone use these reels, what are they like? I abuse my barbel tackle, it gets thrown through bushes to get to spots and lives in my van alongside my plumbing gear, so want something robust.
Ben
I’ve got 2 of the PZB 6000 size and I think they are a cracking reel, has very smooth action, quick fold handles, positive steps on the baitrunner adjustment and a nice loud clutch “click”! I need that as my hearing is going and believe it or not can’t hear the clutches on my Shimano 4000 OC’s and refuse to wear hearing aids while I’m fishing! I’ve been looking for a pair of the 4000 size Okumas myself but the only place I can find them is from a place in Poland and now that we are out of Europe there is small print about customs duties and import charges that stops me making the purchase. If you find anyone with UK stock please share with me 👍
Regards
Bill

I'm the same as you my dad was always moaning when he opened the van in the morning to see my tackle and asked if we had a busy day then.
I've had 2 fox eos reels since September last year and have stood the test of time for me. Abuse in the van and on the bank. No barbel on them but plenty of other fish but I'd imagine they will get more abuse in and out of the van rather than having a barbel on them

Bill - I wear hearing aids and curious as to why you refuse to wear them when fishing? From a personal point of view they enable me to hear all the sounds of wildlife I could hear before my hearing diminished.

Apologies for the brief digression from Okuma reels. I wonder if they make hearing aids! 😁

daiwa and shimano reels, feel the quality lately is definitely not what it used to be
Not sure how you’ve come to that conclusion Ben. For £45, your probably right ....... you don’t get a lot of shimano or daiwa for that sort of money but if you want quality these two brands are still able to give you the absolute best quality money can buy.
you get what you pay for with them. Slapping a 100 notes down into an OC or SS is pretty much sorting yourself out for the next 20 years they are that reliable.

For several years my main reel for pollack and pike was an Okuma Epix Pro. Despite much salt water use it never gave problems, even the bail arm roller bearing stayed rust free!

I left that with my son when I moved to France, wish I had kept it as he has never been fishing since I left Scotland!

Recently I fancied a smaller, lighter baitrunner to use on a feeder rod. I found a 3000 size reel - the Okuma Ceymar 330 - https://www.okumafishing.com/en/product/ceymar-baitfeeder-reel.html

Lovely little reel, despite its comparative lack of bearings it is very smooth to use. It cost me just 45 euros!

Barbel on the bream spawn.jpg

I've got a pair of the older model Epix Pro 30's, the baitrunner version and they are cracking little reels for perch, chub etc. The ideal size for a lighter avon or quivertip. Really sensitive front drag, single and double handle options and 3 spare spools. And whilst I don't use the baitrunner other than for quickly flicking it on for when my backs turned, it also seems smooth as silk.

I won't be replacing my shimmy's anytime soon though!

Thanks chaps, they sound spot on for what i need them for. For the price think i’ll take a punt and get one for my barbel rod and possibly one for my stalker / floater rod.

They are a brilliant design, and are getting good money on resales. I have just the one, but dropped the butt end of the rod in the river, drowning the reel, since then it is not as free running as it should be. Not sure how you remove the side plates to regrease.
Richard😆

Can't comment on the specific Okuma reel you are looking at, but have recently bought some 'budget' Okuma reels myself. First off I bought one to go on my carp floater rod. I had a small fixed spool on it previously that coiled the line up horribly due to having a tiny spool, so bought an Okuma CB-60, bit overkill perhaps but at £50 or so I liked the look of it. Once received and spooled up, I was so impressed with the line lay and clutch and general feel that I ordered two more to go on my barbel flood rods! These ones have the quick fold handles. I sold my two Shimano 8000D's to make way for the Okumas! Can't wait to use them ;)

The floater reel is filled is 10lb floater line and just spooled up perfectly, the two with braid i'm using 15kg PowerPlus and that's gone on lovely also 👌

Back