• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Okuma Epix V2 EPX 40

Paul Monaghan

Looking to replace my falling apart Fox Stratos 7000's and on a budget.
The original Okuma Epix Pro 40 have had some good press. Does anyone own the Okuma Epix V2 EPX 40? If so are they as good as the original, and what is the drag like please? Need a reel that going to last a bit longer than two seasons and these fit the bill for price at least.
Thanks
Paul

Paul, If you get chance, have a look at the okuma saone se55, I'm using a pair this season. They are ticking all the boxes for me. The front drag is super smooth, and they come with a 5 year garantee.

Paul, If you get chance, have a look at the okuma saone se55, I'm using a pair this season. They are ticking all the boxes for me. The front drag is super smooth, and they come with a 5 year garantee.

Thanks Mick, I've not seen the se55, but I see they do a couple of smaller sizes. I'm fishing small rivers so may take a look at these.

I've got the smaller Korum reel the 50 and they have been spot on so far. Nice clutch, good line lay, good line clip and feel nice and solid.

Hi Paul - I replaced a FS7000E with an Okuma Interceptor Pro IPB340....as you're on a budget, I'd recommend wholeheartedly. Even secondhand, they're a better reel IMO than a new Fox (which, and sorry for any repetition as I've written the same on other threads, was hugely disappointing).

Thanks Richard, I believe they have stopped making the original. So i'll keep a look at for a second hand one perhaps. The V2 i've only seen sold through a seller on ebay. Strange I haven't seen them stocked elsewhere.

There are a few EPB40s on ebay

There are a few EPB40s on ebay

Thanks Darryl. Spotted those.

In the end I listened to some advice I received on the bank and went for a Shimano. Wanted front drag so the DA4000FA fitted the bill and is reasonably priced aswell. Hopefully i'll get it in time to put it to the test this weekend.

Last edited:
Got the Shimano DA4000 today and had a play tonight. A quality reel built to last. Unlike my fox's which are destined for the bin. Now how do I buy another ensuring the missus doesn't find out. Tips please ;)

Got the Shimano DA4000 today and had a play tonight. A quality reel built to last. Unlike my fox's which are destined for the bin. Now how do I buy another ensuring the missus doesn't find out. Tips please ;)

Here's a link Paul

http://www.tacklefanatics.co.uk/mfrcat/SH/50/shimano-reels.html?gclid=CNC2o-Kfp6MCFRculAod_XGc5A

You could have a pair of 6000's for under 60 quid ! took me 2mins to find that site with google.

the two reels i think you'd be interested in are 2nd and third from last scroll down to the bottom.

Back