• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Okuma centrepin question

Dan Whitelock

Hi Guys,
I'm considering getting one of the Aventa pro 'pins on reading some good reviews, I have one question though before I order one: does anyone know what the ratchet set up is on it? Is it a slide up/down system or does one twist the round lever on the back? Been trying to suss it out from pictures online as I can't find a local stockist.
I currently have one of the marco cortesi pins and I can't fault it but looking for an upgrade, one thing I like about these reels is the ease of engaging the ratchet with one hand, just wondered if that may still be possible with the okuma reel?

Cheers
Dan

Hi Dan, it's been a long time :)

The Aventa Pro has a knurled knob on the rear plate - rotate to engage ratchet.

entry from discontinued database

I doubt you could do this one handed without practice, maybe not at all?. I say that because I can work the ratchet on my Fred Crouch pins with the rod-holding hand and many say that can't be done and are suprised when I demonstrate, but having said that I don't usually bother.

It has indeed Paul! That's great info much appreciated..... I really fancy one of the Fred Crouch 'pins but it's just a little bit out of my budget sadly.

Hi Dan, it's been a long time :)

The Aventa Pro has a knurled knob on the rear plate - rotate to engage ratchet.

entry from discontinued database

I doubt you could do this one handed without practice, maybe not at all?. I say that because I can work the ratchet on my Fred Crouch pins with the rod-holding hand and many say that can't be done and are suprised when I demonstrate, but having said that I don't usually bother.

If the knurled knob is the same as on a Sheffield, and I suspect it is, then you'll be ok doing it one handed, Dan. Not quite as easy as a Speedia which trumps them as the easiest to flick the ratchet on, but nevertheless, far, far better than those silly button checks you get on FC Aerials, Allcocks Match Aerials etc.

I have both the Crouchy Aerial and an Okuma Sheffield and you'll find there's little difference in the quality, both of which are pretty good, rather just a different style. Both of them will be much better than the Cortezi, which, in my humble opinion, is pretty good VFM but very much built to that price point. I ended up having to balance the drum on mine by gluing strips of lead to the lighter side in what proved to be a futile effort in getting it perfectly balanced. Despite gluing on about 3 SSG's worth of lead, It still wobbles like Vanessa Feltz on running machine and I leave in the back of the van as a spare that I don't much worry about getting nicked.

Great info Haydn much appreciated.
Not so much appreciation for the Vanessa Feltz image I now have flying around my head haha!

I recently sold a Aventa Pro and kept a Sheffield. Apart from a few cosmetics I could not tell the difference and I really liked the anodised colour of the Aventa. Anyone know a value added difference?

My first Okuma was an aventa, not the pro but I can't see any difference. Since got a sheffield and both seem to be as good as each other with different dimensions.
However, when I bought the aventa I'm pretty sure I was told that it's actually a true centerpin, whereas the sheffield has ballraces.

Just checked my aventa and indeed it does have 2 ball races.
Dan, I'm sure you'll love your new one, I like my Okumas so much I tend to only fish swims/methods where I can use them.

Paul I have an okuma Sheffield and have not used it yet for barbel. Can you tell me which swims / methods you use it for and what line you load it with? Any other advice which will help me get the best out of this reel gratefully received.

I seem to recall they have different grade / quality bearings fitted . i.e. Sheffield higher spec

The original Sheffield had German bearings, the Aventa and Aventa Pro had Chinese bearings.

If they weren't different, as Andrew suggests, then Svendsen have exposed themselves big time. I've still got the trade documentation on these models.

Yes, Nigel, that's also what I understood to be the difference. Not that it matters one iota to me, as I have a couple of Crouchy Jets. :)

here is a link to the reel to which I refer: Okuma Fishing Products | Buy Reels

Are we talking a different beast? Although I gave the box and parts list to the guy I sold it to I am 100% sure it was the same bearing number as the Sheffield as I checked and it clearly states German. :confused:

I don't know if it's the same as that sold in the UK, Andrew. On the other hand, it clearly states German bearings. It's all a little hazy! :)

I was thinking of changing the bearings in my Sheffield as the fella I bought it off, I think, must have greased them rather than oiled them. My reel makes quite an audible whirring sound when it spins and I guess this is probably not quite right. To compound this, it spins only for about a minute when given a good flick which is probably about half what you'd expect from a Sheffield.

Anyone had any luck finding upgraded bearings for theirs?

Back