• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Oiling a cork handle

I have a top line Daiwa rod from a couple of years back that has a handle with just 2"
That last Spectron I sold was similar. Just a few rings of cork between 80% of EVA.

I don’t mind EVA to be fair. It’s a recent thing from having the 2 spheres but I like handling it a lot.
Not the most attractive thing for a handle but function over form definitely.

I wouldn’t go near any cork handle with any oil or substance whatsoever.

Me neither. I just sand them lightly.

Another pet hate of mine is when people leave them covered in plastic. Totally defeats the object of having lovely feeling cork handles.

It also acts as a trap for dirt - like a tide mark - so it doesn't actually keep the cork looking at its best. Easily sanded, but I agree, pointless in the first place.

I'd always thought Duplon was just a brand of EVA?
It might be but there is definitely hardness differences between the two.
The duplon fore grip on the front of a lot of my rods is soft and you can leave an impression with your nail from a light press.
The Eva handle parts on some of my Daiwas and the browning spheres is a lot harder and firmer you would have to press very hard to dent that stuff it’s definitely completely different stuff whatever it’s called or branded.

I say duplon as a generic term, I thought duplon and eva were the same thing.

I'd always thought Duplon was just a brand of EVA?

That may be the case. If so, I'd suspect that Duplon was the original Trademarked name and EVA the generic material. However, it's a long time since rod companies made much of rods having Duplon handles. Modern EVA is quite different to the couple of 80s rods I had with Duplon handles that I came to detest. Modern EVA doesn't compress in the same way, nor does it end up with a slick polished appearance with use (provided you keep EVA clean).

That may be the case. If so, I'd suspect that Duplon was the original Trademarked name and EVA the generic material. However, it's a long time since rod companies made much of rods having Duplon handles. Modern EVA is quite different to the couple of 80s rods I had with Duplon handles that I came to detest. Modern EVA doesn't compress in the same way, nor does it end up with a slick polished appearance with use (provided you keep EVA clean).
I think slimline duplon has been a modern alternative to the old thick stuff which I think is a less spongy, more dense material.

Ditto! This is me too. I absolutely detest having my hands all caked up with crappy ground bait. I don’t go to the lengths of having wet wipes in the van to clean handles, it now you mention it I just might start to….🙄

To be fair though I find that my rod handles don’t get to mucky when I’m using them so I must be quite clean when I’m fishing, even if I’m unaware of it.
I have at least 2 towels in my gear and always wipe my hands after every feeder fill,might be a bit ocd but my reels and rod handles are very clean lol, i actually have a camo towel ive had for probably 10 years that i put in the wash after every trip,if i lost it id be mortified 🤣

I think slimline duplon has been a modern alternative to the old thick stuff which I think is a less spongy, more dense material.

Modern EVA isn't necessarily slimline though. Even when it not, it's way more dense than old style Duplon. The modern Daiwa rods, that utilise EVA for Armlock handles, are the most obvious examples.

It might be but there is definitely hardness differences between the two.
The duplon fore grip on the front of a lot of my rods is soft and you can leave an impression with your nail from a light press.
The Eva handle parts on some of my Daiwas and the browning spheres is a lot harder and firmer you would have to press very hard to dent that stuff it’s definitely completely different stuff whatever it’s called or branded.
The 'EVA' (ethylene vinyl acetate) is the generic, whilst 'Duplon' is a specific form (i.e. it's a type/polymer/isomer) of EVA.
EVA is a 'synthetic rubber' and can be very hard or very soft, and each grade will be produced with a specific or suggested end-use in mind.

I bought a new marksman bomb ultralite. The covering on the handle was a thick maleable opaque material. Not plastic in the accepted sense or as I have seen on other rods. I kept a piece as it was so unusual. Shrink wrapped but very thick, .maybe 2mm thick but soft and spongy almost. It was like a peel. Had many hardy's cork good but seen it matched on some high end daiwas.

I bought a new marksman bomb ultralite. The covering on the handle was a thick maleable opaque material. Not plastic in the accepted sense or as I have seen on other rods. I kept a piece as it was so unusual. Shrink wrapped but very thick, .maybe 2mm thick but soft and spongy almost. It was like a peel. Had many hardy's cork good but seen it matched on some high end daiwas.
That sounds like ‘Japanese shrink wrap’ as used on many carp rods.

The carp boys are now using ‘EVA’ in different colours, even camo if you so desire. A fly rod company (Bloke rods) tried to introduce cork coloured ‘EVA’ a few years back - but the fly market still seems to want cork, despite the cost/quality issues.

On the occasions I've had a cork handle that looks a little tired, I have found a decent nail scrubbing brush, with warm water and a litter washing up liquid, does just fine. It's amazing what an improvement this makes.
Btw, never sand paper, but maybe a green scourer

That sounds like ‘Japanese shrink wrap’ as used on many carp rods.

The carp boys are now using ‘EVA’ in different colours, even camo if you so desire. A fly rod company (Bloke rods) tried to introduce cork coloured ‘EVA’ a few years back - but the fly market still seems to want cork, despite the cost/quality issues.
Just checked Tim. No it was to be removed although I left it on for ages. Felt warm and soft. And easily cleanable ofcourse. When I was young we used to have cricket bats covered with what was known as pig skin. Don't know if it was but the Hardy material reminded me of that, but it was so very soft and comfortable, and I regretted taking it off the cork.

On the occasions I've had a cork handle that looks a little tired, I have found a decent nail scrubbing brush, with warm water and a litter washing up liquid, does just fine. It's amazing what an improvement this makes.
Btw, never sand paper, but maybe a green scourer
I clean them in the bathroom sink when the RSM is out. Its the perfect size for handles leant across the top. Soap is usually all it takes with a nail brush but its amazing what comes out of used rods I have bought which look jaded. A brown sludge almost sometimes.

Back