• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Oiling a cork handle

Ian Murfin

Senior Member & Supporter
I have a couple of rods where the cork is looking tired. I'm going to give them a good clean which will bring them back to a reasonable condition but I was wondering if anyone had tried oiling with linseed oil, tung oil or similar?
I'm thinking it will improve the look and also help protect against groundbait grime.

I used danish oil on my cork handle carp rods. It really did revive the bleached out looking cork and gave it a nice colouration. I washed the corked then masking taped the fittings and gave three coats of danish oil applied with a lint free cloth.

A lot of cane enthusiasts will tell you not to oil cork handles. I think Edward Barder also advises against doing so. I’m a French polisher and antique furniture restorer by trade and I have to say that I agree. Personally, I don’t like the look of oiled cork but perhaps more importantly, I’ve long thought that oiling, or applying any finish to cork for that matter, is more likely to case problems by trapping any moisture inside the cork and not letting it breather properly, rather than preventing it from absorbing moisture in the first place. Purely my opinion of course.

A lot of cane enthusiasts will tell you not to oil cork handles. I think Edward Barder also advises against doing so. I’m a French polisher and antique furniture restorer by trade and I have to say that I agree. Personally, I don’t like the look of oiled cork but perhaps more importantly, I’ve long thought that oiling, or applying any finish to cork for that matter, is more likely to case problems by trapping any moisture inside the cork and not letting it breather properly, rather than preventing it from absorbing moisture in the first place. Purely my opinion of course.

I don’t mind a tired look but perhaps a very fine sand instead?

It does seem to be popular opinion to leave cork natural but personally I have had no problems. Danish oil of course is microporous allowing the substrate to breathe. I'm only a lowly decorator and no french polisher but giving my experience for balance. These were done 3-4 years ago. Purely for aesthetics as the cork had bleached in the sun.
20241015_195704.jpg

Washing up liquid and a scotchbrite seems to be the preferred method amongst the restorers but I always favoured a bit of 320 silicon carbide, as I usually have a few hundred meters of the stuff. Anything dirtier than normal usage can be sorted with oxalic acid. You won’t get the stuff I have but Barkeeper’s Friend has Oxalic in it. Be sure to neutralise with soapy water and wear gloves. Oxalic is seriously toxic but works wonders on deep stains. My misses put a wet Le Crueset pan on our beech kitchen worktops a few weeks ago. Result? A jet black ring mark. Oxalic solution applied and a few hours later like it never happened.

PS all at your own risk of course….

So yeah, just a fine sand instead perhaps. 😉

I won't oil or varnish a cork handle, nor will I buy any second hand rod that has had such treatment, I will not use anything abrasive on a cork handle and I'm not keen on the use of any strong/caustic cleaning agent (bleaches and the like). However, I'm even more unimpressed by the ingrained dirt look. I clean rods regularly with well diluted washing up liquid applied with a sponge. If that's not enough to remove cork discolouration (or I've bought dirty second hand rod), the "magic sponge" comes out to play.

I won't oil or varnish a cork handle, nor will I buy any second hand rod that has had such treatment, I will not use anything abrasive on a cork handle and I'm not keen on the use of any strong/caustic cleaning agent (bleaches and the like). However, I'm even more unimpressed by the ingrained dirt look. I clean rods regularly with well diluted washing up liquid applied with a sponge. If that's not enough to remove cork discolouration (or I've bought dirty second hand rod), the "magic sponge" comes out to play.
Which reminds me of our last conversation at the syndi', just going to order some👍

Somewhere buried away I have an old cane fly fishing “noodle rod” that a previous owner has yacht varnished the handle on. I really ought to put a photo on here and anyone having thoughts of applying varnish onto their lovely cork handles will see how such an action is likely to result in not only instant regret but serious and lasting self loathing.

The issue with cork is the varying quality differences and this has a huge impact on how they age, clean up and generally last.

Some terrible cork handles have so much filler put into the imperfections which falls out leaving great big holes to get filled with crap.

I wouldn’t go near any cork handle with any oil or substance whatsoever. I find a wet wipe and a dry off with a towel to be perfectly ideal to get them both clean and feeling great again.

Fortunately I don’t use ground baits or bronze maggots in my fishing which are the two worst things for getting into cork so mine stay relatively clean in most instances anyway.

Another pet hate of mine is when people leave them covered in plastic. Totally defeats the object of having lovely feeling cork handles.

Some terrible cork handles have so much filler put into the imperfections which falls out leaving great big holes to get filled with crap.
yes, I have an early Wilson Avon that looks like the handle was made up of old wine bottle corks. Absolute crap, but then they were made down to a price rather than up to a standard.

By comparison, a Hardy LRH that I also own has the most sublime handle I’ve ever seen. Super slim and the outside diameter of the corks barely wider than the diameter of the hexagon cane beneath. And it still looks fabulous after, what, at least 70 years. You can only achieve that with absolute best quality flor grade cork, which seems to be getting very expensive these days.,

yes, I have an early Wilson Avon that looks like the handle was made up of old wine bottle corks. Absolute crap, but then they were made down to a price rather than up to a standard.

By comparison, a Hardy LRH that I also own has the most sublime handle I’ve ever seen. Super slim and the outside diameter of the corks barely wider than the diameter of the hexagon cane beneath. And it still looks fabulous after, what, at least 70 years. You can only achieve that with absolute best quality flor grade cork, which seems to be getting very expensive these days.,
Top quality cork is a fortune yeah.
Daiwas are about the best I’ve found for putting something really nice on off the shelf rods.
Some of the old shimano rods were terrible. More fill than cork 😂

I use red maggot a fair bit for my tenching and red pellet for barbel. Inevitably, it gets onto and into the cork handles. I've found that diluted washing up liquid/ tepid water and a sponge to clean does the job. They come up looking like new. Just an end of season clean then stored away.

The issue with cork is the varying quality differences and this has a huge impact on how they age, clean up and generally last.

I wouldn’t go near any cork handle with any oil or substance whatsoever. I find a wet wipe and a dry off with a towel to be perfectly ideal to get them both clean and feeling great again.

Fortunately I don’t use ground baits or bronze maggots in my fishing which are the two worst things for getting into cork so mine stay relatively clean in most instances anyway.

Another pet hate of mine is when people leave them covered in plastic. Totally defeats the object of having lovely feeling cork handles.

I’ve got no problem with anyone else doing it, but the idea of fishing with the plastic still on the handle makes me feel a bit like chalk on a blackboard.

Top quality cork is a fortune yeah.
Daiwas are about the best I’ve found for putting something really nice on off the shelf rods.
Some of the old shimano rods were terrible. More fill than cork 😂

I had a fox pike rod years ago that had a fake cork handle made of rubbery plastic 😂 the rod was alright though to be fair.

Be very careful with using any abrasive material on cork rod handles , take too much off [ and its easy to do ] and you can't put it back on again ! This is particularly important on rods where the reel fittings slide up and down the handle[ old school / vintage rods ] , take too much cork off and your reel fittings will be very loose making it more difficult to secure your reel . On modern rods the cork is often very thin indeed , so thin you can push your finger nail through it so rubbing it down can remove it completely . To clean cork I would suggest warm soapy water and very gentle rub with those foam pan scrubbers with the abrasive on one side , bu be careful . As to coating cork , varnish is a no no , it looks horrible and will flake off eventually , tung oil ? ,never tried it , might work , but I was always of the opinion that cork should be allowed to breathe

It's interesting to read everyone's thoughts on this. I would never dream of varnishing a handle, that just seems like a recipe for disaster. An oil finish would feel much nicer to the touch and I think it does breathe to a degree. I totally understand everyone's nervousness but i'm tempted to give it a go.

I'm not one for cleaning rods as they're made so that mud/dirt won't harm them, and the last thing I'd want is to get precious about them on muddy winter banks. They get washed when it rains, and that's it.
But .. in the past I have oiled cork handles on some 40+ year old rods. I thought long and hard about it and in the end I went for teak oil. I choose teak as it leaves a totally matt surface (for grip) but penetrates the cork and 'feeds' it. The cork drank it up, looked better for it, and no grip was lost.

I find a wet wipe and a dry off with a towel to be perfectly ideal to get them both clean and feeling great again.

I have a pack of wet one wipes in the car boot and I give the cork, or maybe even the plastic 😉👍 a quick wipe over and my rod handles never get any build up of muck.

I don't use groundbaits either as I prefer to use magg's and corn/ particles as an attractant.
I always have a piece of old towel hanging off my waist also and like to keep my hands as clean as possible whilst fishing. I have no odea how people cope with having their hamnds caked in grounbait etc whilst fishing, deffo not my style!

AH, the old placcy on the cork scenario 😱😁🤣. I'm afraid i'm guilty of keeping the placcy on the handles as long as it stays intact. To be honest I like it, it actually feels warm in winter and without doubt keeps your cork lovely and clean.

I recently got a fox 8 to 10ft Ti explorer carp rod to use on the river. The rod has the Japanese shrink wrap stuff on the handle and it feels realy nice on your hand.
I would imagine it would work really well on a float rod handle, nice and warm and easy to keep clean.

Back