• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

OCD and fishing.

I’m super OCD about some things. I always had to have matching clothes and luggage, I had a full set of MAP luggage along with bib n brace, coat and fleece, all the same color. When I was really young everything was blue, hat, coat, trousers, seat box, luggage, rod accents, bait boxes……Reels always matched and most of the time rods if fishing with two. Gear always set out in the same way and I had to be able to reach anything and set it up without leaving my seat even my umbrella.
I’m less OCD now although saying that I do have a custom fly fishing lanyard with built in fly box to save me having to go in a pocket or heaven forbid leave the water to go back to the bank for something! All my rods are the same brand, jackets and waders a different brand but clothing has to match. OMG!!!!

Don't mention toilet rolls too.🙄
not that silly folded point on the roll end, surely?

When I hang the washing on the line my misses comes along to check I’ve done it right. Invariably, I haven’t, so she then follows me up the length of the line correcting my poor hanging skills. The only noticeable difference I can see, after she’s “fine tuned” my adequate work is that the pegs match on each clothing item. 🤷‍♂️

not that silly folded point on the roll end, surely?

When I hang the washing on the line my misses comes along to check I’ve done it right. Invariably, I haven’t, so she then follows me up the length of the line correcting my poor hanging skills. The only noticeable difference I can see, after she’s “fine tuned” my adequate work is that the pegs match on each clothing item. 🤷‍♂️
Not the pointy roll thing ...although I did try that and it was soon binned..no just that as anglers we understand the paper roll should come off the top NOT, NOT, the UNDERSIDE!
Don't get me started on washing line etiquette too My missus thinks I am useless at hanging washing. And I am, but I insist any pegs on the line are clamped in the recess in the peg and not in the spring which accounts for many broken pegs.🙄

Dishwasher/ fridge / freezer .

I am not allowed to put anything in the dishwasher , or fridge . My wife has her
“ system “ I come along and mess it up .

Likewise the freezer, when I return from a charter wrecking trip and have maybe 30 or 40 cod and ling fillets , it causes much mirth watching her “ Feng Shui ing “ the Freezer drawers to her exacting standards . Usually there are probably the same amount already frozen so she has to sort out the date order for cooking .
Mixing the cod and ling fillets is not allowed , despite them all being in freezer bags with content and date clearly endorsed in black felt tip.
I can see the reasoning behind it , but when she has to re arrange the rest of the contents because there has been an overspill of fish due to a good days fishing it is quite funny .
It has got to the point where I have to call her on the way home from the trip saying how many fillets I have so she can get ahead of the game by creating room
in the freezer before I get home .

I usually just make up a number , who counts how many fish you have caught ?

Its called living dangerously .🤣🤣

David

My OCD is massive; carp angling breeds OCD behaviours I'm afraid - matching gear / level rods / colour match peripheral tackle all pretty standard I'm afraid; tardiness on the other hand = zero attention to detail which is not good news IMO - focussed attention to detail in all things from how your set up is positioned to where you cast to what rig you are casting to the quality and freshness of your bait is ALL an edge . . .

I do have some OCD weirdities that are def bad luck if not adhered to for all types of fishing - ALWAYS set the landing net up before any other tackle and pack it away last (this is practical as well as OCD) Always salute single magpies / Always cast multiple rods from right to left etc

Used to be much worse - eg paying the lake after a session (irrespective of success rate) with a £1 coin / using latex gloves to bait up with so the bait doesn't get tainted / never using a headtorch at night unless absolutely necessary etc etc - luckily I am in remission and over this stage . . :cool:

My OCD is massive; carp angling breeds OCD behaviours I'm afraid - matching gear / level rods / colour match peripheral tackle all pretty standard I'm afraid; tardiness on the other hand = zero attention to detail which is not good news IMO - focussed attention to detail in all things from how your set up is positioned to where you cast to what rig you are casting to the quality and freshness of your bait is ALL an edge . . .

I do have some OCD weirdities that are def bad luck if not adhered to for all types of fishing - ALWAYS set the landing net up before any other tackle and pack it away last (this is practical as well as OCD) Always salute single magpies / Always cast multiple rods from right to left etc

Used to be much worse - eg paying the lake after a session (irrespective of success rate) with a £1 coin / using latex gloves to bait up with so the bait doesn't get tainted / never using a headtorch at night unless absolutely necessary etc etc - luckily I am in remission and over this stage . . :cool:
Absolutely not.

Having level rods is not an edge.

Having un level rods is an edge because it makes other more OCD type think you don’t know what you are doing.

Absolutely not.

Having level rods is not an edge.

Having un level rods is an edge because it makes other more OCD type think you don’t know what you are doing.
Un level rods is a disgrace - zero tolerance - zero excuses. If I ever met you on the bank with such a set up (irrespective of whether you'd just landed a brace of 18lbrs on a 6lb hooklink with a hair rigged cockle) I'd happily walk past and probably 'tut' in a very loud voice . . .the end :p

The only thing I am vaguely neat or organised about is clearing up other people's rubbish in a peg. I wouldn't leave someone's old cigarette end or a corner of a plastic wrapper or a pellet in case anyone thought it was me, but at the same time while I'm there my gear will look like a bomb has hit it, and I do tend to have some of my bait and gear (of which I always carry far too much) in plastic shopping bag(s) and bag(s) for life so it would look really terrible to some tackle tart eyes I suppose. I make sure nothing can blow off in the wind and I just try to fish out of sight of other people!!

Last edited:
Totally agree with some of these posts, level rods, matching rods, reels, luggage, clothing etc comical but if you feel it gives you an edge its your choice.

First and last item I assemble and pack away is like Chris said the landing net, I've had to rescue several anglers over the years in landing fish, saluting Magpies done it even going to the footie and I've also made a monetary contribution to the water normally a two pence piece as they skim best probably why I don't catch much being so tight!!

Apart from the landing net the only other thing I do is check the knots I have tied several times.

Pegging out washing is done like me mam taught me so that has been enough in an argument.

Toilet roll must come from the bottom (no pun intended) I was once toilet roll monitor at work 🤣

Dishwasher I am allowed to load but before it gets set off I hear things rattling as they get moved and recently I have not been allowed to empty it as I don't let it drain/dry long enough.

I used to know a lad who was big into fishing until he had most his gear robbed. He never bothered replacing it cause at the time he had just got into scuba diving so spent his spare time doing that instead. He used to go diving in carp lakes and used to tell me about how you could swim right up to the fish and they wouldn’t be spooked at all. Last time I saw him he was telling me how he’d spent about 15 minutes trying to reach a pound coin under a peg lol. Could have been one of your offerings lol

I used to know a lad who was big into fishing until he had most his gear robbed. He never bothered replacing it cause at the time he had just got into scuba diving so spent his spare time doing that instead. He used to go diving in carp lakes and used to tell me about how you could swim right up to the fish and they wouldn’t be spooked at all. Last time I saw him he was telling me how he’d spent about 15 minutes trying to reach a pound coin under a peg lol. Could have been one of your offerings lol
Lol - paying the lake was a 'thing' (amongst other weird things) on my then syndicate during the late 90's / early 00's . . the water was stupidly hard and most of the members were either drunk or insane such was the dismally long waiting time between bleeps. . .chucking in 50p / £1 coins was arguably a highlight in any session . . . . . . . and if it gave you confidence at the time then who was to argue?

I agree with some of the above, OCD about clothes rod colors etc. makes zero difference. level rods etc, no edge either. It more just brings a level of enjoyment to some I guess.
I do think being organized is an edge. Not wasting time finding stuff or tying rigs etc. being consistent on rig lengths, hook lengths knots etc definitely an edge. Also back when I was match fishing canals and you needed a couple hundred fish in five hours to frame organization was everything. No time to re rig or look for a disgorger, could literally cost you the match. Obviously much less important pleasure fishing but I still try to maximize fishing time vs other time with the limited time I have to fish.

Back