• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Nylon like braid.

Paul Collins

My club has introduced a blanket ban on braided mainline. Could anyone recommend a nylon more like braid ie. minimal stretch, very limp and strong for its breaking strain? Please, nylon feels like using elastic after over 20 years using braid.

Have a look at the Gardner Pro Blend or GT HD, both are a copolymer line that is pre-stretched. They are low stretch and very strong, I've used the Pro Blend light in 12lb and 15lb for a very long time and always found it to perform very well.

Thanks

Lewis

I doubt any club would thank you for using Berkeley Nanofil, but it's not actually a braid. I'd have a good look for chatter about the stuff before you give it a go. The response when it was introduced was hardly unanimously positive. However, it's still being sold nearly twelve years later, someone must be buying the stuff.

I've just spooled up with GT HD (as an experiment instead of my usual Synchro XT) and so far I'm liking it in terms of direct feel - for even less stretch have you considered a fluorocarbon mainline? Had a phase using Fox Illusion for carping and its was surprisingly good although like all fluro mainlines needs careful management . . .and its expensive! Lots also currently recommending Gardner Mirage . . .

My club has introduced a blanket ban on braided mainline. Could anyone recommend a nylon more like braid ie. minimal stretch, very limp and strong for its breaking strain? Please, nylon feels like using elastic after over 20 years using braid.
Is that veralum paul?

I take its just a little river? No need for braid tbh. Got to ask the question why?. I'm a massive braid fan, which is integral to most of my Trent fishing. You can't beat mono for short work, I even incorporate a leader too(double grinner) for added security, rocks etc.

I take its just a little river? No need for braid tbh. Got to ask the question why?. I'm a massive braid fan, which is integral to most of my Trent fishing. You can't beat mono for short work, I even incorporate a leader too(double grinner) for added security, rocks etc.
What braid are you using for the Trent Jon? Planning on a few forays over winter and want to go 'properly' tooled up!

Thanks for that, I'm mainly trotting on the rivers though so it's partly the floating property of the braid I like.

Back