• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Nufish skylight brolly

Mark Pevy

Senior Member & Supporter
Considering purchasing one of these, any of you gents got one and be able to give any feedback please

I have one, not really much to say. It's light enough to stick in your quiver on a decent walk. A quick tilt mechanism and the old unscrew the pole and screw it back in a tilted position to get the pole further behind to give a bit more room.

It pegs down at the back if needed.

Not sure how long before it breaks in some way but I've been happy enough with it.

I'd like to see a screw in pole section with a tommy bar on brollies for hard ground!

I had the Nu-Lite version which looks quite similar, first decent gust of wind the fibreglass arms snapped where they connect to the fabric. I wouldn't pay much for a lightweight brolly now, I suspect that lightweight = flimsy.

Yeah at least the metal arms just bend in strong wind, as opposed to snap.
If I know it's going to be windy and rainy I tend not to bother, brollies are largely useless in those conditions.

I had the Nu-Lite version which looks quite similar, first decent gust of wind the fibreglass arms snapped where they connect to the fabric. I wouldn't pay much for a lightweight brolly now, I suspect that lightweight = flimsy.
Thanks gavin,don't think I will bother then👍

Exactly Bob. I’ve been saying the same thing for ages.
Any brolley or shelter is going to get turned inside out with a heavy gust thrown at it and it makes not a squat of difference how heavy or light weight it is as it will knacker it. Simple.

Fit storm poles and don’t have it face on where possible and it will last a long time.
Graphite ribs are spot on if you pin the thing down. Sometimes I do wonder about peoples expectations on brolleys. It’s never going to survive a head on gust in it’s free standing form no matter how much money you throw at one.

Pin em to the floor from the highest two ribs

Some lightweight brollies are more likely to fail due to inherent weaknesses in the design to save weight. For example the Nu-Lite that I had had plastic connectors on the ribs is opposed to metal on my other heavier brollies. When mine failed it was pinned down and it was a side wind. As well as ribs breaking three of the plastic connectors snapped and were unrepairable. It wasn't a particularly windy day.

Exactly Bob. I’ve been saying the same thing for ages.
Any brolley or shelter is going to get turned inside out with a heavy gust thrown at it and it makes not a squat of difference how heavy or light weight it is as it will knacker it. Simple.

Fit storm poles and don’t have it face on where possible and it will last a long time.
Graphite ribs are spot on if you pin the thing down. Sometimes I do wonder about peoples expectations on brolleys. It’s never going to survive a head on gust in it’s free standing form no matter how much money you throw at one.

Pin em to the floor from the highest two ribs
Agree about the use of storm poles, but if you want to keep the weight down they're hopeless. My brolly, with storm poles and erected with back to the wind can withstand most conditions, but I'm knackered just getting it bankside! The best thing I've found for a roving session in stormy conditions is a poncho. Mine is big enough to cover my lightweight chair as well!

Back