• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Now Why...

The number of Game Anglers we see will largely depend on where we are based but trust me Damien, there are a lot up here in the North West. I've no problem with Salmon Anglers by the way - merely pointing out the hypocricy in the often touted reasons for having a closed season on rivers. How anyone can argue that coarse anglers should stay away from the river to allow fish to spawn whilst game anglers are allowed to fish is beyond me! Likewise the fact we can fish stillwaters and canals but not rivers - it's utter nonsense Damien - we either have a freshwater closed season that applies to all anglers on all waters - or we don't. I wouldn't be bothered either way, if such a ban on freshwater angling was enforced i'd take a trip to the coast and have a dabble for some Ray or early Smuts. :)

hi andy,
spot on close season for all anglers including trout and salmon anglers, why should they be different ?????, could it do with there fees ?????? they pay, or is ut an old law that they can use,

hi andy,
spot on close season for all anglers including trout and salmon anglers, why should they be different ?????, could it do with there fees ?????? they pay, or is ut an old law that they can use,

maybe...that or the fact they spawn at a different time of year :rolleyes:

September onwards for Salmon :)

I spotted a bloke coarse fishing on a river today, challenged him and he packed up. Cracking conversation though.
Me: Are you aware that the season doesn't start until next Saturday?
Angler: Yer, I know but I'm working next weekend.

Jim. I have no idea why you went through all that with your new XTEA.

Release the scew where it tells you to put oil in. Squirt some in. Do the screw up.:D

Also been out a few times. managed a rather nice pb fish barbarpping.

a 35.5 Common.

Soon be "proper" fishing though.

Graham

Release the scew where it tells you to put oil in. Squirt some in. Do the screw up.:D

a 35.5 Common.

Graham

That does sound like a lovely fish.

Back to the reel. If you wish to carry out a superficial service, by all means squirt a few drops in the oil hole. I always carry out a full service which means a complete strip down and rebuild. I get very little repeat business as there is no need for any further work to be carried out after a reel has been through my work shop.

That does sound like a lovely fish.

Back to the reel. If you wish to carry out a superficial service, by all means squirt a few drops in the oil hole. I always carry out a full service which means a complete strip down and rebuild. I get very little repeat business as there is no need for any further work to be carried out after a reel has been through my work shop.

:p

Yes I know I have a carrier bag full of a complete Mitchell Reel, except it's in a 100 bits.:(

Don't really see what all the fuss is about!! I am carp fishing at the moment, have been since I stopped piking at the end of March and will be for most of the summer, don't really like targeting Barbel in the warmer months (although this year is not very warm so far!), will leave it till the autumn when you lot have fed them up for me! :) I will do a few social sessions of course and then October I will be in a constant quandary as to whether to target Barbel or Pike, hopefully the weather will help with that decision.

Good luck for the coming season everyone

I shall be fishing a river on the 16th, D.V., but who knows if a barbel will show. Like Crooky I prefer later in the season apart from the very odd (sic) social sessions ;)

The excitement is immense.......

Regards

Hugo

Jim. You are lucky to have a mechanical mind. If I even tried that...and also holding the sheet that shows all the bits that make up a reel.......I would still be putting it back together by seasons end. Like Neil I have about 3 mitchell 300's in 300 parts!

I guess thats one reason so many like the hamster wheels, not a lot too them.

Back to seasons anticipation. It's great.

Graham

a 35.5 Common.

Graham

Graham, I know you invented it, but, it should be Barping :D

Ive done a bit of barping myself this close season with a pb mirror of 27lb. Barbel tactics and stalking down the edge sorted that one!

Ash

Too close to Barfing (as in Wilts Cider night) and Burping (as in Wilts Beer Night):D:p

or Bhaji ing (as In Bedfordshires normal meal night);)

Nice fish. Well Done.

Graham

Last edited:
Graham, I know you invented it, but, it should be Barping :D

I thought so too Ash but was put in my place by Graham on the original thread, quite rightly - he did invent it! I'll be Barbarpping on Thursday then preparing the rods for the purpose they were intended on Saturday! :)

Back