• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the β€˜Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Notts Fed members?

Rob Paylor

Morning all,

Any Notts Fed members on this board? I've just paid up for the coming season with a view to having a go at Thrumpton, Viaducts, Clifton. Know bugger all about these places so wondered if any BFW members frequent these places πŸ˜…πŸ‘

Cheers,
Rob

Hi Rob,

I used to be a Nottingham Fed member. Have fished Clifton bridge and the viaduct stretches. In my opinion there are much better areas. Clifton bridge used to produce the odd big fish but it is not so good now. Similar for the viaduct and there are loads of beam there as well. Notts Anglers and Scunthorpe AA have better fishing. There are even some free stretches that are worth a try! Nottingham Federation used to have much more and better parts of the Trent but years of falling membership and bad management have lead to them controlling less and less river.

On the plus side, you can park behind your peg and bivvy up for days if you want. Not my cup of tea!

Hi Rob,

I used to be a Nottingham Fed member. Have fished Clifton bridge and the viaduct stretches. In my opinion there are much better areas. Clifton bridge used to produce the odd big fish but it is not so good now. Similar for the viaduct and there are loads of beam there as well. Notts Anglers and Scunthorpe AA have better fishing. There are even some free stretches that are worth a try! Nottingham Federation used to have much more and better parts of the Trent but years of falling membership and bad management have lead to them controlling less and less river.

On the plus side, you can park behind your peg and bivvy up for days if you want. Not my cup of tea!

Hi Ian,

Appreciate the reply, that doesn't sound so positive πŸ˜ŒπŸ˜‚ Might be a short lived ticket!

I did get a ticket with a view to having some night fishing on the Trent available, I guess there's a draw to that when you're travelling 100 miles to fish the river and not having to go home at the end of the day. Can't see it being a regular thing though, even if the fishing was excellent...

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob ,
I haven't fished Pentons, but fished Thrumpton on many occasions ,although it's been a while,
There used to be a large shoel of Bream turn up in the summer and the pike weren't far behind .
However I don't know what it like today .

Hi Rob ,
I haven't fished Pentons, but fished Thrumpton on many occasions ,although it's been a while,
There used to be a large shoel of Bream turn up in the summer and the pike weren't far behind .
However I don't know what it like today .

Thanks Adam, doubt I would get down much in summer so hopefully the bream will have done one by the time I get round to having a go πŸ˜‚

Hi Adam,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I missed it! Thrumpton and Pentons were the ones that looked most appealing, ie, most away from the crowds. Have you fished either?

Thanks,
Rob
Pentons can get really really busy in the summer with people dog walking etc, it did last year anyway! It seems really popular at Gunthorpe with the pubs and cafes! If you're not fishing it during the summer it may not be such an issue.

Back