• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Not long now fellas!

Jeff Collins

No Longer a Member
Well with the impending season almost upon us I thought I would ask what your opening day consists of.

I used to be casting in at the chime of midnight. But kids and wife have put a hold on that. Now it's a dawn raid approach albeit a short session.

So gent's how do you go about opening day/night.?

I'll be raising a glass to the glorious sixteenth...from a bar in the South of France! Not fished it for years. Never miss the Fair Fouteenth though.

First light wherever takes my fancy but probably Yorkshire Derwent as is usual for me. Never stuck for a swim.

I used to be casting in at the chime of midnight. But kids and wife have put a hold on that. Now it's a dawn raid approach albeit a short session.

Pretty much the same for me for exactly the same reasons! :) Bit of stalking river Carp for me if conditions allow as the Barbel fishing can be patchy early season and the Carp are 'off guard' making them easy targets! ;)

Jeff, I have the lower river in town here in Tewkesbury so I'm a bit spoilt really....the river looks really appealing for Zander this morning, especially with a few feet of warm extra on....roll on the 16th:)

Jeff, I have the lower river in town here in Tewkesbury so I'm a bit spoilt really....the river looks really appealing for Zander this morning, especially with a few feet of warm extra on....roll on the 16th:)

Blimey the pub gardens looks tempting for an early session Paul:rolleyes:

This year I made a concious decision to be away for the 16th, due to being spoilt, the last 16th I fished I had a couple of doubles and a couple of splashers under my belt for 4 am, and that seemed to actually put me off a bit, seemed too easy, so this year I will be out on a self drive boat after Spurdog and Cod on Loch Etive.

Tight lines to all that grace the banks on the 16th though.

Dave

Off to France for a weeks carp fishing next Friday then back on the 14th, unload the van, just in time for Englands first match;) sort all tackle out on the sunday then out after work on the 16th;)

The past two seasons have seen me have to make a move to the lakes on the 16th for first couple of weeks of the season because I've managed to pick up hayfever somehow. Never used to suffer but now i do terribly!

The past two seasons have seen me have to make a move to the lakes on the 16th for first couple of weeks of the season because I've managed to pick up hayfever somehow. Never used to suffer but now i do terribly!
That can be rough, I suffer a bit too, maggots are a bit of a problem for me, eyes itch like mad and swell right up, I have to take anti- hyst, tablets before I go, that does the trick.

You obviously are allergic to a certain pollen, have you had any tests to check what you are sensitive to?

Back