• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Not for the traditionalists amongst us.

There was a little article reference it in the Angling Times too. Cant really guess where they are fishing either as I have never seen that hump before in the backgound, is it the one that you always see when Lee Swords is on the Trent???
Thats quite a good idea though, "The Sausage".... must work imo

I couldn't get the footage to play very well, does he fish with the spod rod or is it just as a means of baiting up?

Pretty brutal method but it has got me thinking about some uses, on a smallish river one or two of those swung out underarm could lay a nice big carpet of bait with not too much disturbance

My word, I've had 50- to 80-pound mahseer on far lesser gear, yet do understand (from floodwater Middle Thames main river and weirpool experience) that are many times when Mk IVs and the like simply won't do. Still, it makes certain men feel men and sells some tackle.

The Chairman on Thursday

Subject: The War Against Fish and One's Fellow Angler

I hear that someone's just got himself heavily sponsored for one of these -

trawler.jpg

Only way to go now, clearly.

As ever,

B.B.

Maybe its just me ,but I would think that using a bait dropper at range in a River like the Trent would not be a very accurate way of baiting up,sureley the flow and "paddle" shape of a dropper would mean your bait ending up elsewhere than where you intended ,that is if it released at all,maybe you hardened Trenters have a view,or indeed use a feeder....aside from that a bait sausage coupled with a largish lead may probably be a way to go though.....not for me though,I will stick to feeders I think,depending on circumstances.

Dave

On a river that I'd consider small enough to use a bait dropper I'll use PVA or feed by hand/catapult. I no longer have bait droppers as part of my kit.

Being serious for a moment whenever I see that sort of article in a mag, or as this one was, in the Angling Times, I always ask myself which bait company is this guy sponsored by?
The first person I ever saw using the long pva sausage was Steve Hitch, the owner of Teme Severn Bait, fishing the lower Severn at Pixham. That must have been 5 years ago. He caught nothing that day but I did, fishing over his bait a couple of swims downstream.

It lost me completely when he started explaining all the different "bait clips" used on his "spod rod". I felt like I do when the students I teach start talking amongst themselves...its another world out there and I am not sure I want to know anything more about it.
Still, whatever rocks your boat, as we used to say...

All i can say is.....buggggger me, what an expensive way to fish!!
Going to try my new spod bucket out tomorrow using an uptide rod and 80lb braid:D:D

Yeah, what's the point. Obviously works for carp in a stocked lake so try it on the barbs. £££\s of bait. Find myself agreeing totally with Pete again (see otter thread).

Bit of a joke with a couple of friends as i have made a spod out of a bucket :D

The Chairman on Thursday

I always find it quite touching when I see what young Paul (He Who Must Not Be Named, Must Be Ignored, Particularly Not Referred To in Polite Circles, a.k.a Voldemort) has been quietly saying for Heaven Knows How Many Years gets itself carted off and attributed to One of Us. So very British - well, English.

As ever,

B.B.

Back