• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Not a good start (snapped rod)

Seat and handle unfortunately are glued on to the butt section and won’t be salvageable

Rings, collars and caps yes all good to go again but if you pay the builder to strip these things off the broken rod then I don’t think the saving will be much at all.
However very worth while if you remove these items yourself.

Just put a lighter across the whippings and cut em off. It’s not really going to matter if you damage the rod now but good practice to try and get them off with minimal witness marks
That’s what I’ll do
Estimates are a new top section will be around 1/3rd the cost of a new rod using existing guides
The butt section will also go back to Harrison’s to ensure a good fit

That’s what I’ll do
Estimates are a new top section will be around 1/3rd the cost of a new rod using existing guides
The butt section will also go back to Harrison’s to ensure a good fit
In a four week period after Christmas this year grayling fishing I broke three float rods on three different rivers...a record?

Itchen, Maver Sign., operator-error whilst packing away in the car park..oops
Irfon, Drennan IM9, netting a trout
Rymney the repaired Maver, sliding a float down the line (broken in diff. place).

On the positive side I have learnt a lot about repairs on low diameter sections (external thin carbon sleeve rather than internal spigot) seems to do the trick.

Currently break-free so far this season on the barbel rods ;-)

In a four week period after Christmas this year grayling fishing I broke three float rods on three different rivers...a record?

Rymney the repaired Maver, sliding a float down the line (broken in diff. place).

On the positive side I have learnt a lot about repairs on low diameter sections (external thin carbon sleeve rather than internal spigot) seems to do the trick.

You know what it has freaked me out a bit and I am terrified of another breakage having not had one for 20 odd years
My grandson managed to bend a bail arm on a favourite reel last week of close season
I thought it would be a quick fix and managed to lose a critical part as it flew out under spring tension as I removed the bail arm
So that needs to go back
Then the rod…
I’ m not hugely suspicious but I do work on the “ it comes in 3s” old wives tale
Maybe time to dust off a few unloved rods for a few weeks?

You know what it has freaked me out a bit and I am terrified of another breakage having not had one for 20 odd years
My grandson managed to bend a bail arm on a favourite reel last week of close season
I thought it would be a quick fix and managed to lose a critical part as it flew out under spring tension as I removed the bail arm
So that needs to go back
Then the rod…
I’ m not hugely suspicious but I do work on the “ it comes in 3s” old wives tale
Maybe time to dust off a few unloved rods for a few weeks?
yes, know the feeling , tempting providence etc.

Why oh why did I open my big mouth!

Seems I will be fishing a single rod tonight...bad luck comes in fours ☹️

Attachments

• 17189077700622904194889017755426.jpg
    17189077700622904194889017755426.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 71
Back