• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Not a good start (snapped rod)

Gavin Burt

Was in garage last night buried some ceiling rod storage and stopped for the Euros first game.

In there this morning and moved rod bag to look for something.

Rod slipped out, caught my 2 tonne worktop vice (not secured) with the line and the rod fell to the floor with the vice falling 4ft on top of it.

To say I’m pi$$ed off is an understatement.

Rod was a brand new hand-built Harrison 11ft.

Attachments

• IMG_7959.jpeg
    IMG_7959.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 258
Might get that replaced under home and contents insurance Gavin?

Was in garage last night buried some ceiling rod storage and stopped for the Euros first game.

Rod slipped out, caught my 2 tonne worktop vice (not secured) with the line and the rod fell to the floor with the vice falling 4ft on top of it.

Oh Christ it’s not half made right a mess of that. I’m really gutted for you Gavin

Let’s hope as Damian suggests you can claim it back on an insurance or something.

Devastating ☹️

Looking at the state of the rod ring and whippings, you needed another rod or a rebuild anyway 🤣

Say thank you to the fishing gods and claim on the insurance.

You know it makes sense Rodders .

David

Wow. That's devastating. Good luck mate, hope you replace soon. Insurance might help but premiums will increase so with excess it's probably cheaper to bite the bullet.

I feel your pain🥲
I snapped a tip on a Torrix this morning
It was strapped up and had a tip protector on too?
Just heard a sickening crack as I reluctantly loaded a brolly into the quiver
It is only 2-3 inches off the length but…..
It’s like mentally stubbing your toe
You know it’s going to hurt but initially you deal with it rationally - then the pain comes
Gutted for you mate

It's a sickening feeling isn't it! I set out for a crucian trip once at 4am. As the light of day was getting stronger, I set up the Drennan ultralight float rod. The line got wrapped around the tip, & getting frustrated with this happening, I just tugged the line & the inevitable happened.

Miles from home, no other rod, & had to wait for a shop to open before I went back later that day.... 1st cast (Nope I didn't break the rod!) but caught my 1st ever crucian of 3lb 2oz stalked in the margins with float gear. 2nd fish was 2lb 8.oz .

It's a sickening feeling isn't it! I set out for a crucian trip once at 4am. As the light of day was getting stronger, I set up the Drennan ultralight float rod. The line got wrapped around the tip, & getting frustrated with this happening, I just tugged the line & the inevitable happened.

Miles from home, no other rod, & had to wait for a shop to open before I went back later that day.... 1st cast (Nope I didn't break the rod!) but caught my 1st ever crucian of 3lb 2oz stalked in the margins with float gear. 2nd fish was 2lb 8.oz .
Just a rank amateur compared to you guys but always 3 rods minimum with me. Tomorrow 4 to accommodate what I expect to find. Too idle to retackle too. HA.

I can imagine you being gutted Julian. I was told most rods will break if tugged at the tip backwards as they are loaded to go left or right , forwards but not back. Never been brave enough to try it out to see if that's true. If I had as many top quality rods as you have it would be particularly frustrating.

glad to know you didn’t break the rod

Cheers for all the comments and house insurance suggestions.

I’m going to reach out to the builder as hoping reel set / rings / handle / top and butt cap can all be reused on a new rod. Then all I need to pay for is blank / labour.
Seat and handle unfortunately are glued on to the butt section and won’t be salvageable

Rings, collars and caps yes all good to go again but if you pay the builder to strip these things off the broken rod then I don’t think the saving will be much at all.
However very worth while if you remove these items yourself.

Just put a lighter across the whippings and cut em off. It’s not really going to matter if you damage the rod now but good practice to try and get them off with minimal witness marks

Last edited:
When I broke the tip section on my Torrix , I just broke the tip section up into more pieces and sent it back to Mark Tunley , he rebuilt it using the old rings. This was under warranty though .

Agree with the home insurance thing , by the time you’ve paid excess and increased premiums you’d have the price of a new rod , they just don’t want you to claim at all and make it as hard as possible to make it financially viable . ( in my experience)

Back