• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

North Western Rod

Dave Durrant

Hi guys.

A few years ago I bought a rod from Damian Kimmins, a North Western Carbon Kevlar Barbel Quiver 11ft 1.25 t/c

The rod is a twin top, 2 piece 11ft in equal lengths. An avon top and a spliced quiver top, fuji reel seat, cork handle.
I have a feeling these were made by a rod builder for the anglers fishing the Hants Avon and Dorset Stour in the 80/90's and available from a tackle shop in Bournemouth.

I have been looking ever since to get a matching pair but to no avail.

Does anyone have any info or history of this rod?

Cheers

That would almost certainly be Davis Tackle, just around the corner from the Royalty. They currently market an Avon Special which is based on a Harrison blank, the North Western would have been an older version I guess.

That would almost certainly be Davis Tackle, just around the corner from the Royalty. They currently market an Avon Special which is based on a Harrison blank, the North Western would have been an older version I guess.

Thanks Steve, but I think it was the tackle shop on Barrack Road, Christchurch. Long gone now.

Hi Dave, that rod brings back so many memories for me as it was probably my first serious barbel fishing rod post JW Avon Quiver. It was one of those rods that you almost forgot what it was you caught for remembering the action of the rod during the playing.
I can tell you that I purchased the rod from Avon Angling in Ringwood if that helps, though who built it and what the blank was I cannot help with I'm afraid.
Kind regards
Damian

Back