• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Normark float rods

Thanks, Richard.
I suspect that I've given the wrong impression about the reels I might use on a longer rods for bigger fish. Whilst I invariably aim for as light as possible, I don't go small unless I need to. The reel of choice on my 15'+ rods this year will be a Shimano Aero XR 5000 (at 268g).

As the tench I'm fishing for are averaging towards 6lb with an upper maximum creeping towards 9lb, the FS rod sounds just fine. Throw in the threat of carp well into the thirties and double figure bream, and I don't think it will be over the top. The one thing that will hold me back is the price tag. I'd have one already of it were a chunk less expensive. I've got a lot of selling to do before I can justify the expense.

I'll be interested to see whether the real world weight matches (within reason) the spec 216g. I do hope that they've not used the "bare blank weight" as some brands have done in the past.
I’ll check it now for you and let you know

I can’t argue with that
06887FBE-8CAC-41B8-BD7E-BAE23493140B.jpeg

Obviously Joshua’s bowl of Lego was zeroed out before I laid the rod across it.
Bear in mind I haven’t yet removed the plastic off the handle so we can shift a gram or maybe 2 there.

That's damned impressive for any 17' rod, let alone one with some real backbone. I tend to find that some nose heaviness is almost inevitable on rods longer than 15'. I still find that preferable to poorly executed counterbalance weighting. Time to sell some stuff rather than raid the savings.

Thanks for taking the time.

That's damned impressive for any 17' rod, let alone one with some real backbone. I tend to find that some nose heaviness is almost inevitable on rods longer than 15'. I still find that preferable to poorly executed counterbalance weighting. Time to sell some stuff rather than raid the savings.
I agree entirely.
Read a lot of posts suggesting shoving weight up the arse end of long rods which completely spoils the in hand behavior of it.

I don’t mind a little nose heavy. Spliced tip rods especially long ones always had a little more on the nose but it was never anything to worry about and certainly nothing that couldn’t be countered back with another 10g on the reel.

My lightest reel(baby TDX) at 239g loaded doesn’t feel too bad on it tbh. It is better with the 300g TDR for the weight over length

I have an original Titan 2000, instead of the duplon foregrip, mines all cork. Same reel seat etc. Had carp to over 16lb etc. Its just an amazing waggler rod tbh. Stick has to be the Shaky Boron mach 2, or the Daiwa Amorphous stick float special....

I have an original Titan 2000, instead of the duplon foregrip, mines all cork. Same reel seat etc. Had carp to over 16lb etc. Its just an amazing waggler rod tbh. Stick has to be the Shaky Boron mach 2, or the Daiwa Amorphous stick float special....
I find the Titan 2000 to be an excellent trotting rod with sticks and bolo floats Probably up to 6g maximum.
It’s the super super fine mega fast hollow tip that makes them so bloody great at that job.
I’d never take mine down to a commercial to start taming puddle pigs. I think that’s how a lot of them will get broke.

The Mk11’s and carbotec’s were far more suited for that type of fishing not the delicate 2000/3000 river rods 😉

The 2ft extension completing that rod is so unbelievably rare for the avenger 2000. That’s going to fetch seriously mega money. (£500+ I’d guess)

I’d have to ask my self is it 500 quids worth of fishing tool for me Personally…… not a chance!

As good as they might be I can’t see it being an improvement on the 3000 I have already which was actually purpose designed and built with its own extension to fish at 15ft. The 2000’s simply weren’t.
My Titan 2000 has a 2ft extension aswell. It completes the rod but it is a pointless accessory if you ask me. It takes everything I love about the rod away from it and it becomes sloppy and lazy.
The avenger 3000 is over stiffened at 13ft and the Titan 3000 is the same. At 13ft they are a little too brutal for their incredibly fine tips but add the extension and they become (imo) the near perfect 15ft river rods. I believe the design of these was to push the multi length compromise towards the shorter length and make them spot on at the full length.

You can’t physically have a multi length rod that is spot on at both lengths it either works properly long or short but not both. Daiwas spectron 13/15 was another that worked better long imo.

Carbotecs were a bit different. They had their own dedicated full length long butt and mid sections so essentially you were fishing with a completely different rod by swapping them out. In this case all combinations can work.

I find the Titan 2000 to be an excellent trotting rod with sticks and bolo floats Probably up to 6g maximum.
It’s the super super fine mega fast hollow tip that makes them so bloody great at that job.
I’d never take mine down to a commercial to start taming puddle pigs. I think that’s how a lot of them will get broke.

The Mk11’s and carbotec’s were far more suited for that type of fishing not the delicate 2000/3000 river rods 😉
I don't fish commercials, that day i was waggler fishing for bream at 22yds on my local reservoir, when that carp came along. Not bad on a 3lb bottom.... 😉

Back