• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Night fishing on Wye

Carey Manning

Hello,

Does anyone know of any fishing beats that offer night fishing on the Wye?

Every stretch I can find only offers day fishing and it would be nice to fish a few hours into darkness.

Any info very much appreciated,

Thanks, Carey

Hello Carey

Im not an expert on the Wye but I have fished it quite a lot and a few different stretches but no where near as many as some of the guys on here.

In general I think most people don`t night fish the Wye for a few reasons

1, As you found out most day ticket stretches are just that day ticket stretches maybe try a club membership

2, the banks are very steep and very dangerous more so when wet

3, it fishes very well during the day

I like night fishing for barbel but I wouldn't fish the Wye all night because I feel even during the day fishing you need to keep your wits about you due to steepness of the banks.

Ive slipped, lost my balance and almost ended up in the river more times than any over river ive fished especially if its raining and thats during the day.

Its a great river with beautiful scenery

Good Luck
GaryC

Thank you for your response, very much appreciated.

The reason for my question is that on the few occasions we have fished it the fishing has been hard all day and then comes alive at dusk (this also ties in with what others have told us on the bank), as such we have to leave as its getting good! I would not actually look to fish all night, and quite agree that some banks are hard enough in daylight to navigate, however a few hours into darkness (from a level swim etc) would be good. Most fisheries i have seen allow an hr after sunset but that is all.

Carey, I think the key to catching during the day is finding the fish, if you are not catching keep moving and be prepared to fish smaller baits. In my experience you can catch well during any time of the day as long as you have the fish in front of you. I occasionally fish an hour or two into dark and Ive never found the fishing to be any better in general.

Cliff's the expert and has the fish-finding skills, but as a total tourist who's made just 4 trips to the wye in the last 3 years (total 14 days fishing), 10 out of my 14 fish have come in the 2 hours after dark, one more at the start of dusk, 2 in the morning and one at lunchtime. None at all between 2 - 6 pm in 14 days of fishing mostly with 2 rods.. (I fish two rods only when it's clear that bites will be few and far between )

I know it's all about finding the fish in the day time, but basically I have no idea how to find them - even when someone like Woody (or a helpful p-m off here) marks 'x' on the map, I have had very little day time success and so yes, just after dark they do seem to come and find the bait a bit more, as is my experience on most rivers i fish up here in Yorks too.

I don't enjoy fishing after midnight but from dark till 11pm in late summer or autumn, yes please, so in other words yes Cary, i feel the same as you and get frustrated if i can't fish too long into dusk.

Join Hereford for £50 a year would be my advice. It more than pays for itself versus day tickets in one single long weekend trip if you take a guest (4x2 peoplexday tickets = £80 with no night fishing, 1 x Hereford book+guest@ £4/day for same 4 days = £66 with night fishing plus free access for a year = no brainer) . There are hundreds of swims where you can make sure in advance that steepness & depth in front of you are not issues of concern.

Oh and stan at Aramstone seemed to have a relaxed attitude towards finish time there. i think rules said off at dark but he said it's be Ok if we were away by like 10pm on a night when I think dark was about 8.15. I think he trusted us cos we seemed like a fairly harmless and clueless sort of couple who weren't going start barbecueing everything that moved - mm tasty lamb & salmon- as soon as he went off for the night). The only fish we had there were around 9pm so that was good.

Good post Graham sharing your experiences. I think the term expert is best reserved for far better anglers than myself, the point I was trying to convey was that fishing into dark isn't the only way to improve ones catch rate on the Wye, albeit I do enjoy fishing a few hours at night myself like many others, especially on rivers with lower fish density than the Wye. The fish will and do feed during the day and by travelling light, roving and trying different swims you will find them (on most days). Also as you have seen yourself, often in summer a moving bait will out fish a static one so the float or rolling a bait are worth trying too. I'm glad you mentioned HDAA as I wasn't sure what the rule was but suspected night fishing was allowed. It's definitely worth the £50 Carey.

Back