• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

NGT CENTREPIN ... blimey !!!

I gave one a spin in the tackle shop and it seemed OK ish - it spun freely but not quite smoothly and just felt a bit lacking in substance .

I could only really compare it with my Okuma Aventa and Sheffield reels (rather than my Gary Mills and Chris Lythe centrepins) and I would say that the NGT is nowhere near the Okumas but the NGT is a lot cheaper and probably OK for someone who wants to try out a centrepin to see if they like it - its definitely not one for me though.

I would encourage anyone to try a centrepin - the experience of playing a decent fish on a centrepin is so much more direct and satisfing than on a fixed spool.

I’m going to jump on the bandwagon and try one of these (with upgraded bearings) for general / Chub trotting duties. Typically bigger/heavier float work so not so precious over what it takes to rotate on the spindle.

£35 isn’t out of the way to try something new and see if you like it.

I’m guessing they’ll be short term pins for new people trying it out before either upgrading through sheer love of the method or slinging in the bin through sheer frustration.

I can’t see them being brilliant things personally for that price. New Bearings won’t make a vast difference as something like an abec3 isn’t going to be noticeable over an extremely high tolerance ball race abec7 in a centrepin doing just double digits rpm at the most when trotting. It could make a small impact depending on how cheap the originals really are.

The issue is the all too common but practically useless “fling and time” test that’s often carried out with them to determine if it’s a gooden.

I still to this day don’t know what the bench mark is for this test …… 30sec….. 2mins …..4mins 🤷🏻

Put it on a rod, thread the line through 1-2 rings and nip on a single bb shot. If that won’t start it rolling then yeah it’s about £35 worth. If it does, step down to a no1, then no4 etc etc.
that test will tell you a lot more about your pin.
Alternatively if that’s a bit too much effort you can always gently blow on the handles. Again no real numerical way to conclude if it’s better or worse than another but it’s going to tell you something which is more than a “fling it” test will.

I think (hope!) I've ordered the right bearings. I'm eager to learn to fish with a pin. Paying a fortune for one to find I don't get on with it seems daft.

I’m guessing they’ll be short term pins for new people trying it out before either upgrading through sheer love of the method or slinging in the bin through sheer frustration.

I can’t see them being brilliant things personally for that price. New Bearings won’t make a vast difference as something like an abec3 isn’t going to be noticeable over an extremely high tolerance ball race abec7 in a centrepin doing just double digits rpm at the most when trotting. It could make a small impact depending on how cheap the originals really are.

The issue is the all too common but practically useless “fling and time” test that’s often carried out with them to determine if it’s a gooden.

I still to this day don’t know what the bench mark is for this test …… 30sec….. 2mins …..4mins 🤷🏻

Put it on a rod, thread the line through 1-2 rings and nip on a single bb shot. If that won’t start it rolling then yeah it’s about £35 worth. If it does, step down to a no1, then no4 etc etc.
Alternatively if that’s a bit too much effort you can always gently blow on the handles. Again no real numerical way to conclude if it’s better or worse than another but it’s going to tell you something which is more than a “fling it” test will.
My god talk about pissing on people's chips .. how's about we get on with it without you pouring scorn over ever post on here . Which I've noticed you seem to to do!!!

You will be surprised about how many high end pins failed both tests you mentioned, especially the spin with a bb.

Rich, although I don’t have the NGT one, I do have similar cheap pins, I have absolutely no problem of using it, and actually, compare to my other pins, I abused it a lot. It does everything, casting well, line goes off ok, only problem is the ratchet, it’s weak, and sometimes switch on automatically. The building quality is just ok, but nothing wrong with it.

My point is, you can really rely on these cheap pins, they are definitely not short term solutions:

Last edited:
My god talk about pissing on people's chips .. how's about we get on with it without you pouring scorn over ever post on here . Which I've noticed you seem to to do!!!

I don't thinks he's "pouring scorn on peoples chips" Barry.
I think he is being realistic, they are just a cheap reel.
Lets be honest, your not going to get a quality centrepin reel for 35 ripps.

slow Barry you have the wrong end of the stick.
, I haven’t pissed on anyone’s chips. I didn’t say it was a bad buy at all I was pointing out ways to check if people wanted to see how it compares properly. Most people base their assumptions on how many seconds it will rotate for after a good fling of the drum.
I simply said there’s better ways to do it. And I also stated that bearing changes are not often upgrades unless the originals are extremely extremely poor because in a cpin you aren’t loading or spinning them to anywhere near their capacity.
No insult on NGT pins I haven’t use one, I just would expect them to be what they are and related to what they cost.

Back