• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Richard Firth

Hi.
After getting back into fishing 2 years ago i've set my heart on landing a few barbel this coming season. Local to me i have the Rother ( s yorks ) and the don. I'll also be making a few trips to the trent to hopefully land a few .

This forum seems really good. With plenty of advice on hand. Upto now i've been picking up a few baits to try and also some feeders.

Baitwise ive picked up some elips pellets, spicey hemp in a can , krill and hemp in a can and some hemp and halli crush groundbait . This will be my opening game plan . End tackle will be 12lb gardner mainline to a 10lb hooklink finished off with a korum expert barbless hook probably size 10 to start.

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated ! May even see some of you around on the bank !

Thanks
Rich

Welcome to the madhouse Rich. There are some great blokes on here who are always happy to give help so i’m sure you won’t be lacking. I bet it won’t be too long before someone from your neck of the woods steps up with some pointers for the Rother and Don. Plenty has been said about The Trent and from my experience if you get on the fish you will catch BUT i’ve managed to blank on both The Trent & Wye so that say’s plenty about me !! LOL
One word of advise about hemp if I may. Buy a bulk sack and prep it yourself. You can add “smells” if you desire but it’s darn good in it’s natural state.
Tight Lines and I look forward to reading your exploits in the coming season.
Regards
Bill W

Thanks Bill.
Good advise on the bulk hemp, ill look to do that i think.
What stretch of the trent did you try ? I think we're going on the A1 pits bit 1st chance we get.

Well if you have true flat elips thats perfect.
And also with the pellet shaped ones I would band one....but buy some latex tube on ebay for about £5 per mtr and cut your own. Trade ones are too thin.

Hard to find.
If you are using pellet ones I would suggest you tie a band into a hair and use a bander.
Pellet just under bend of hook and a few large ones in your H and H mix.

Good luck

Hi Rich, and welcome aboard, Location is also very important. Spend a bit of time watching the water, looking for any signs of fish activity. If there not there, you can't catch them. Also, keep your set-up as simple as possible. Free running lead or feeder, no need to complicate things with fancy set-ups from the carp world. If there hungry, they will eat most baits, but like most on here, we all have our own favs that we feel confident with. Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Hi Rich, and welcome aboard, Location is also very important. Spend a bit of time watching the water, looking for any signs of fish activity. If there not there, you can't catch them. Also, keep your set-up as simple as possible. Free running lead or feeder, no need to complicate things with fancy set-ups from the carp world. If there hungry, they will eat most baits, but like most on here, we all have our own favs that we feel confident with. Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Thanks Derek, i'll uppdate my progress once the season starts. I couldnt agree more with the carp set up comment.

Hi Rich, and welcome.
're Bill's advice on hemp, a couple of suggestions.
I prepare hemp in a slow cooker. Asda have them for a tenner. Soak over night then cook on the high setting till they start to go soft ( about 3 hours ).
The hemp can then be stored in batches in the freezer. I use plastic milk bottles and leave a little of the liquid in. This is then great for mixing your groundbait.
You cannot call yourself a barbel chaser yet. First you need to catch a rather strange virus which effects us all.
Known on here as the B and M bug. You have to call into any branch, pick up a few cans of spam, and report on here which flavour and which store. Others them swoop and clear out the stock. It's never used, just used for bragging rights !
Mike

Hi Rich, and welcome.
're Bill's advice on hemp, a couple of suggestions.
I prepare hemp in a slow cooker. Asda have them for a tenner. Soak over night then cook on the high setting till they start to go soft ( about 3 hours ).
The hemp can then be stored in batches in the freezer. I use plastic milk bottles and leave a little of the liquid in. This is then great for mixing your groundbait.
You cannot call yourself a barbel chaser yet. First you need to catch a rather strange virus which effects us all.
Known on here as the B and M bug. You have to call into any branch, pick up a few cans of spam, and report on here which flavour and which store. Others them swoop and clear out the stock. It's never used, just used for bragging rights !
Mike

Haha... im not far from a B&M actually !

Good tips in the hemp. Thanks

Back