• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Years Resolution Time!

Howard Cooke

I have decided to just enjoy my fishing and to stop stressing about whether I am going to catch or not. Sounds simple but it does require a mindset shift. Linked to this is to vary my fishing. I love barbel and barbel fishing but I have noticed that on the days I fished rivers for grayling, silver fish etc. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience despite not catching anything spectacular.

I wouldn't mind catching a 20+ carp this year but that should be easy as Hatter has promised to deliever in the spring.

Happy New Year everyone.

I must say Howard I have been as you say from day one.i enjoy the solitude and wild life whether I catch or not.in passing may I wish you and all on BF W a very Happy New Year
Albert

1. Spend less time working and more time fishing.

2. To finally catch my first double figure Tench from a Cheshire mere.

3. Not to buy any more rods!

4. To do more float fishing.

5. To dust off the fly gear and do some fluff-chucking for the first time in years..

Ps - HNY to everyone!

Going to make an effort in getting some kids into angling. Got a couple of mates with lads who are showing a bit of interest so will be donating a bit of gear and some time. Will be an interesting challenge.

1- To fish more, and to be more adventurous with venue choice.
2- To find a prolific Roach swim.
3- Not to loose it when a canoe goes through the swim.
4- Not to fish a field with horses in.......

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin...odds-ends-picture5204-2014-09-01-16-50-15.jpg

5- To find some boots that actually stay waterproof for more than 6 months.
6- To go for an eye test.
7- To master self- takes,... as the long gap between pics means I forget how I did it last time ! :D:D........

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin...12-bad-hair-day-another-self-timer-cockup.jpg

Happy new year to all and I hope to catch up with some of you Stour and Avon danglers on the bank soon. ;)

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin...odds-ends-picture5204-2014-09-01-16-50-15.jpg

7- To master self- takes,... as the long gap between pics means I forget how I did it last time ! :D:D........

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin...12-bad-hair-day-another-self-timer-cockup.jpg

Happy new year to all and I hope to catch up with some of you Stour and Avon danglers on the bank soon. ;)

Re. #5... I've decided, eventually, that the only answer is wellies. Zero maintenance, 100% waterproof. Job done:)

1. Spend less time working and more time fishing.

2. To finally catch my first double figure Tench from a Cheshire mere.

3. Not to buy any more rods!

4. To do more float fishing.

5. To dust off the fly gear and do some fluff-chucking for the first time in years..

Ps - HNY to everyone!

Re. #2 & #4... go for it Joe, go for a Cheshire mere tench double, on the float. How satisfying would that be eh:)
ATVBA...and HNY.

I have decided to just enjoying my fishing and to stop stressing about whether I am going to catch or not. Sounds simple but it does require a mindset shift. Linked to this is to vary my fishing. I love barbel and barbel fishing but I have noticed that on the days I fished rivers for grayling, silver fish etc. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience despite not catching anything spectacular.

I wouldn't mind catching a 20+ carp this year but that should be easy as Hatter has promised to deliever in the spring.

Happy New Year everyone.

Happy new year all.

I fished the Kennet for few years whilst living in the area, and before, travelling from London, and over those years it did get progressively more difficult. It is strange though as I used to curse the river for being such a god awful river to fish until, I changed my mindset. I started to take my float road with me, started perching and trotting for dace and roach, I found out that the Kennet was a fantastic river actually as it provided the perfect environment for those fish, it just so happened that for barbel it was a little tricky. I think too many people lose sight (myself included of course) of what angling might be when we impress on to mother nature what we think she should be doing, rather than just open your self to what else she is capable of.

I know all about your No.7 Dave, your experience sounds uncannily like my own. I suffer from a worrying degree of short term memory loss, and more than a touch of technophobia (otherwise known as stupidity :D). To top it off, if I buy instructional books to improve my knowledge on tech stuff, I invariably fall asleep within minutes while trying to read it...the best cure for insomnia I know :p

Incidentally, would I assume from your photo on that link that the reason you lost control of that barbel was because someone had stabbed you in the back with that rod rest?

Cheers, Dave.

Not to pass comment on Facebook pages when the anglers is clearly lying the weight and holding the fish to the camera and not say word when anglers post photo of every fish they caught like 2 lb barbel etc ..

On all rivers John please....

Re. #2 & #4... go for it Joe, go for a Cheshire mere tench double, on the float. How satisfying would that be eh:)
ATVBA...and HNY.

Now that would be a red letter day and a half Terry. I'd be in a right two and eight after playing a 10lb+ tench on a size 16. I had a near 7lb male on the float the season before last and that almost gave me a nervous breakdown!

Incidentally, would I assume from your photo on that link that the reason you lost control of that barbel was because someone had stabbed you in the back with that rod rest?

Cheers, Dave.

Close Dave, my fishing buddy who was on the other bank and was on his second consecutive blank probably thought about it !
I only put that 3 year old pic up so that you could admire what I know is your 'favourite' landing net!:D:D

Damned things, hate 'em :D:D. It really does look like that rod rest is sticking out of your back in that shot though Dave, love it :D

Cheers, Dave.

Back