• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New to site

Lee Stacey

Senior Member & Supporter
Just a quick hello and introduction; new to site, although been reading the posts for a while so thought it fair and decent to register and donate. I have been fishing over 40 years, match fished in the Late 80’s to mid nineties for one of the top teams of the day, spent most of my time on the Trent, Witham, Welland etc. back then or driving around the country practicing for team matches. Switched to carp fishing in the mid nineties and spent almost 30 years chasing them around Europe. Did a few years fluff chucking to boot, and for the past few years got back into maggot drowning on the bigger natural venues (not interested in commercials). Now decided to finally sell up on the carping side after not going for two years, and not keen on the crowds anymore but keen to get back to my roots on the Trent and mix in a bit of relaxation in the form of some barbel specific trips. Having amassed 30 years of carp gear along with my match gear, I am pretty sorted with equipment but will be looking for a couple of top end Trent feeder / lead rods for general conditions ( mainly tidal) and if I get going through the winter, a couple of stepped up versions. Reel wise I have several TDR 25 distance versions and castizms that I can re-purpose so sorted on that front. Reading the advice on here it seems that the Torrix 2 / 2.25 /2.5lb / Chimera v3 / HI-S are popular choices for my initial needs, but would welcome all suggestions. I have had sets of custom Torrix and free spirit (and probably every other brand) over the years as carp sets so appreciate quality where possible.

thank you
Lee

Welcome Lee :)

Welcome to the best forum on the net … rod wise don’t dismiss the basias
Thank you Terry, will take a look at the Basias again, I dismissed them initially due to guides and not having an option for custom build. Years of continental extreme range casting with 0.20 braid and 3.75lb rods taught me that AF tip and Anti tangle intermediates make a difference! Although it probably doesn’t matter as much in this case, although I would still change the tip.
Lee

Welcome on board Lee, some great knowledge to be had on here, the members are very helpful, and will offer help/advice, wherever they can. Good luck on your new ventures. 👍

Thank you Terry, will take a look at the Basias again, I dismissed them initially due to guides and not having an option for custom build. Years of continental extreme range casting with 0.20 braid and 3.75lb rods taught me that AF tip and Anti tangle intermediates make a difference! Although it probably doesn’t matter as much in this case, although I would still change the tip.
Lee
Yeah I’m having the tip rings changed on mine but it’s to accommodate my isotope sight tips i made

Attachments

• IMG_2999.jpeg
    IMG_2999.jpeg
    392.6 KB · Views: 99
Welcome on board Lee, some great knowledge to be had on here, the members are very helpful, and will offer help/advice, wherever they can. Good luck on your new ventures. 👍
Thank you Derek, whilst reading through over the past months, I thought it refreshing that most of the posts were genuinely helpful and that the majority of members offered good solid advice. I typically stay clear of any social media but was more than happy to register here.

Lee

Hi Terry, is it the 2 3/4 in Basia guise that you are using, or would recommend for the Tidal stretches for normal conditions or the 2 1/4 ?
Hi lee I have the 2.25 I got them for the nene when there’s a bit of water on if I was fishing the tidal trent on a regular basis I would have got the 2.75 I actually looked at both to be honest there wasn’t a great deal of difference very similar action but the 2.75 felt like it had a bit more backbone through the middle..

Hi Lee - welcome👍
going back to your question - you ve worked it out
All these are beauties for the job
I don’t have FS but do have the other rods- my personal presence is the Chimera 3
Possible even a C4 for distance casting - heavy feeders?
Nice problem to have 👍

Welcome Lee 😉
You're clearly experienced and have a good selection of gear 👌
I've learned so much from posts and anglers on here over the years and met some great blokes, some of which have become good friends.
Also there are 'Fish- ins' occasionally on various rivers where you get to have a good social with like minded anglers, even though the fish may not be playing ball.

Dave

Hi lee I have the 2.25 I got them for the nene when there’s a bit of water on if I was fishing the tidal trent on a regular basis I would have got the 2.75 I actually looked at both to be honest there wasn’t a great deal of difference very similar action but the 2.75 felt like it had a bit more backbone through the middle..
thanks Terry.

Back