• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

new to barbel

If I was planning on starting Barbel fishing in the coming season I'd spend as much time as I could walking my chosen venue over the next couple of months.

My favourite Barbel swims are shallow water deepening off, great holding spot. If we are talking newcomers then I'd just keep it very simple and fish a feeder or running lead on a river with a decent population. I always believe location is key and so long as they are there then you have every chance, you can always refine tactics to improve catch ratio from there.

The great temptation is to cast to features when in most cases the best Barbel feeding feature is to be found underneath where you are quietly sat. It took me a long time to learn that but last season my first doubles of the Nidd and the Dove came from a bait placed within three feet of the nearside bank.

The great temptation is to cast to features when in most cases the best Barbel feeding feature is to be found underneath where you are quietly sat. It took me a long time to learn that but last season my first doubles of the Nidd and the Dove came from a bait placed within three feet of the nearside bank.

thats great advice from Darryl, lots of anglers throw their leftover bait in the edge when they finish fishing, so the fish get used to looking there for food. set your tackle up well away from the waters edge, creep slowly and quietly, and drop your bait in gently. good luck.

I can relate to this.
While freelining for Perch on the Kennet, I crept up to the base of a willow and dropped my Lobworm beneath it I had a scrap and a half with a 8lb Barbel on 4lb line. Luck you might say, but the opposit bank was the supposed banker Barbel swim and luck struck twice more that day with similar fish from under my feet.

Back