• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

new to barbel

John Walker

hi guys what would you reccomend as to how to go about finding and catching barbel for guys/girls who are relatively new to barbel?
groundbait, hooklengths,hitting bites (the wait or a big pull) how to spot barbel ect ect ect, there must be lots of folk who look in and would like to know, especially if all the jargon is a bit unnerving:)

Quick tip for location :-

Return to the swims where you have been smashed off in the past when fishing with light tackle, they could have been barbel, in my case they were.

Dave

For location just walk the banks and your see the swims that anglers have worn down giving you a clue to where the barbel are and the bait has gone in ;)

First and foremost, you have to find them to catch them !
So for begginers they need to do a bit of homework to find the places where plenty of Barbel are being caught, because it's so difficult to learn whilst blanking ;)
Rigs ... keep it as simple as you can, a hooklength of 12 to 18 inches, a running lead or feeder.

Tactics.... Feeder, or loose feed or in balls.

Baits... Meat, pellets, Maggots.

Be patient, talk to as many anglers on the bank as you can, especially those who seem to be catching a lot.

........... Join BFW :D

Always enjoy your fishing;) fish has much has you can;) and talk to has many other anglers has possible. Fish the river in has many different conditions has you can, and keep things simple, like a lot of the lads I've fished with lately:p

find the best swim ,stick a bivvy in it and sit there all summer.

I think that's what a lot of youngsters ( and not so young as well ) think fishing is all about these days Dave, they read the mags, or talk to their mates doing the same, buy the gear, the bivvies the buzzers, the rods and baitrunners and hey presto ! instant experts...... Not ! :(

Ian.

I think that's what a lot of youngsters ( and not so young as well ) think fishing is all about these days Dave, they read the mags, or talk to their mates doing the same, buy the gear, the bivvies the buzzers, the rods and baitrunners and hey presto ! instant experts...... Not ! :(

Ian.
oh yes, alternatively, roll up in the car park, fish the nearest swim, catch nothing, moan that there is no fish in the river and blame it on EE'S and otters, sell your barbel gear and fish the local puddle...:D:D

hi john,
lisen if you take in all the advise from the members on here you wont go wrong, keep it all simple and be patient it will come to you, as you progress with ure fishing you will pick up the water craft, which is how the water moves in different area of the river slower moving water towards the middle of the river, if your fishing the skick are ideal holding spots for chubb barbel etc, or over-hanging trees on far bank, etc etc these are places that will often hold fish, , dont be put off, if you dont catch some barbel at times, at this can be down to weather temperture and rising water levels as well, you will pick this up in time,

Personally I would say use a long hooklength (3 feet) and use a back lead (where suitable - and explain where's suitable) to pin everything down. Keep well away from the water and don't stamp around.

Look for cover, deep gravel runs, gaps in the weed, or little fished areas if it's a popular venue.

Don't be afraid to try something or somewhere new. Experiment.

Stick with it and enjoy the challenge.

Oh and read the books and watch the DVDs on barbel fishing for their advice and inspiration.

Always take Dolly for extra company she will never let you down although she'll be used to being let down herself.:D

John knows his stuff, just think that he is trying to get a thread going that newbies could look at for some good, basic advice !
I would add from my point of view :-
Obvious, but fish where there are a few............
As Nathan says, the long hook-length is a killer method !
Finally, use Fluro hooklengths, totally changed my catch ratio.......
And finally, finally, don't fish for Barbel all the time ! It can become very soul destroying ! Fish to the conditions ! If you have a mild 4 foot flood, fish for barbs...............cold and frosty, Chub, Dace, Grayling etc..... I've made the mistake of becoming obsessed and its the road to ruin !!!!!!

Regards,

Paul M.

Barbel Fishing

Hi John. You are lucky to have one of the best rivers in the UK ( The River Wye ) around 50 miles from Cardiff to Ross on Wye. You should catch some Barbel there. Dan :)

Yes Paul, you got it in one, guys the post wasnt for me, i been barbel fishing for at least the past 53 years, its new guys/girls who havent any knowledge of barbel but want to learn and maybe feeling a little intimidated coming on to the site and knowing little or nothing but want to learn, i thought several
posts from other guys trying to show basic ways and simple tips and advice may encourage the new people to maybe ask on the thread and begin posting, nothing needed to deep just maybe what you look for to find a barbel swim ect ect ect:)

Clive i have witnessed Dollys drooping eyelids after a night on the riverbank with her master, either one aint a healthy looking sight:D
Ray i am behaving just trying to coax anyone looking in to post a bit:)

Back