• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New tackle

Mark Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi men,

With a month to go to the start I was wondering what tackle you buy for the start of the season ?. New line and hooklength replenished , or do you treat yourself to something special ?.

Other than a new brolly that replaced a destroyed one , and the chance to add two more Nash elite barbel rods , the rest just gets a wipe over to get the fungus off :eek:

Hatter

I usually buy what I need (line, hooks etc.) but have a wish-list of more expensive bits of kit that I buy when I see them cheap somewhere. Having said that I recently found a new barbel rod in my cupboard and I've no idea how long I've had it or where it came from. A bit worrying.

I usually buy what I need (line, hooks etc.) but have a wish-list of more expensive bits of kit that I buy when I see them cheap somewhere. Having said that I recently found a new barbel rod in my cupboard and I've no idea how long I've had it or where it came from. A bit worrying.

The tackle fairy Gavin? :D

So that's what happened to it Gavin. I knew I had left it somewhere, just couldn't remember where. Just post it to me fella, I will pay the postage.

:D

Cheers, Dave.

Couple of new rods to try out, new gardner rucksack and stocked up on the bait and feed pellets....that was about it..

So that's what happened to it Gavin. I knew I had left it somewhere, just couldn't remember where. Just post it to me fella, I will pay the postage.

:D

Cheers, Dave.

Tell me what it is Dave and it is yours! Trouble is that it is over in Yorkshire, I'm presently on Wirral and can't remember what it was!

That happened to me Gavin, however there was a reason: my wife had bought a Harrison Gti for my 50th and it had been stashed safely in the airing cupboard for two months until I found it by accident the week before my birthday!

Not sure i need anything this season Mark.

I changed my line about four seasons ago so that will be good for another couple of years. Hooks genrally get resharpened, i buy big hooks too start with, size 1/0's and after a few seasons sharpening they are down too a nice size 8.
Not being a big user of bait, i bought a kilo of boillies in 1998, still have half of them left.
I may well treat myself too a new pair of bite alarms tho, the Heron's have finally given up the ghost!
The seat box is still fairly comfortable so i won't be changing that this time round.
The umbrella has been re waterproofed and will go again, the "Hoffmiester, follow the bear" logo is a tad faded but that does not detract from the performance.

So, as you can see, i think all things are covered this season.

Got a couple of Okuma Epix Pro baitrunners off a chap on another forum which will take the strain off my trusty Mitchell 300's, provided I get on with them.

Line is sorted as I won a 1000 metre spool of Sensor in the Anglers Mail Top Rod competition.

Won a load of Lone Angler bait in the raffle at The Barbel Society Show.

Looks like a fairly cheap close season except I took out membership at a trout fishery as I could not go three months without wetting a line.

Reels, rods, bedchair, day chair, brolly system, quiver holdall. All set now!!

After a long wait for one to become available, combined with some heavy saving, a Witcher Bisterene Aerial and it arrives this week. And next season, it's going to be attached to a rod and used and won't be neatly placed in a glass fronted cabinet.

Nothing yet, been itching to treat myself. But honestly can't think of anything I need except some terminal tackle bits !

Back