• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New scales advice

Gareth Collis

Gents, I’m looking for a new set of compact scales, I‘m using the Reuen Heaton 9000 series digitals at the moment & TBH I’m not overly impressed so what’s your recommendations please.
i have heard good reports about the korum digitals?
Ps budget not a issue 👍🏻

I’ve got the Korum digitals. I think they’re relatively reliable. Still going after three years with the same battery they came with. They were an ounce over when I weighed a special Chub I caught a couple of years back, that was compared to a fellow angler using the same scales, but he’d recently had them checked.

I carry a set of Ruben flyweights as a second opinion/battery-less back up. Neither take up a massive footprint in the rucksack, one being smallish and flat and the other being compact and round.

Hi, I bought some Korum scales last month (NOT the 'T Bar' ones). They appear extremely stable compared to previous scales that I've used, but I'm yet to use them actually on the banks (in a breeze, with a flapping fish). The neoprene case supplied with them is stupidly small so I've had to bin that immediately. But, suitably sized replacement cases are available on eBay. I bought them as all I'd heard about them was positive.

I just bought a set of Sportscale 7000s as I was not trusting of my Sportscale 9000s, once I had some time, I checked them against each other with weights from 8 ounces to 21lb 12oz they both weighed exactly the same at each of the 6 weights checked. These were checked using one of these :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOD-HEAV...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 and 3x 48" bank sticks.

I did find that when hand held there could be a slight difference of an ounce or so each way, but on the tripod they were exactly the same every time (guess I'll be taking the tripod with me when I go fishing if I want a really accurate result).

Can't help with the Korum digitals I'm afraid.

I’ve been looking at the korum digital scales I like the compact size.
At the moment Iam using my Avon scales had them for years they get check every now and then
With household items ie: bags of sugar 😉 they seem fairly accurate

I’ve got the Korums with the neoprene case that looks like it’s for scales half the size

They aren’t the most robust for the price but they’ve been fine in the year I’ve had them

I’m absolutely paranoid about going digital in this instance.

Yes you can take extra battery’s, but cold temps are battery killers

Good old avons for me I’m afraid
That aspect used to worry me, until I hit upon a solution....

I started keeping my digital scales down my Y-fronts. Ok, I got some funny (and to be honest, a few admiring) looks, but weigh-hey.
(I could have said "I saw a solution, and the scales fell from my eyes", but that would be too much I guess)

Anybody use these Fox Digitals? 100 quid are they that much better? Or is it just carp tax??

Attachments

• 12A26787-C6F4-40CA-B1F9-2ED46054E66A.png
    12A26787-C6F4-40CA-B1F9-2ED46054E66A.png
    232.1 KB · Views: 196
I’m absolutely paranoid about going digital in this instance.

Yes you can take extra battery’s, but cold temps are battery killers

Good old avons for me I’m afraid

The Korum digitals take a 9 volt battery and have a quick and efficient standby function. I take a spare in my bits & pieces pouch anyway. I’ve had the same battery in for 4+ years now and it’s still going strong. I can’t see a set going through a whole battery when they’re mostly on standby, even in the worst of conditions. As stated before, I wouldn’t be without by back up Reubens though...

You can buy on E-Bay scales suggested for weighting luggage. I've used one of these for years now and find them 100% reliable if kept dry. Cost you under £10 so cheap enough to replace if they get broken. Lastly I tend to put my batteries in back to front, and only set them right when weighing a fish? Digital scales are amazing these days and cheap.

You can buy on E-Bay scales suggested for weighting luggage. I've used one of these for years now and find them 100% reliable if kept dry. Cost you under £10 so cheap enough to replace if they get broken. Lastly I tend to put my batteries in back to front, and only set them right when weighing a fish? Digital scales are amazing these days and cheap.

Most of these scales seem to weigh in kilos, pounds/decimal or ounces. Important when you are fishing for crucians and it shows 4.8 ie not 4lbs 8ounces but 4lbs 13ounces and a new British record! Similarly a barbel of 21.2 would not be an equal record but a record in its own right! Is there a set of scales that shows pounds/ounces? or do you weigh in ounces and mentally convert to pounds ounces?

Gents, I’m looking for a new set of compact scales, I‘m using the Reuen Heaton 9000 series digitals at the moment & TBH I’m not overly impressed so what’s your recommendations please.
i have heard good reports about the korum digitals?
Ps budget not a issue 👍🏻
Gareth there's a 91 contributed thread (Digital Scales) four pages down that discusses the pro and cons of digital scales. It seems like with most products some are good and some are useless. I would say that the consensus of positive opinion is slightly in favour of good old fashioned dial scales.

Most of these scales seem to weigh in kilos, pounds/decimal or ounces. Important when you are fishing for crucians and it shows 4.8 ie not 4lbs 8ounces but 4lbs 13ounces and a new British record! Similarly a barbel of 21.2 would not be an equal record but a record in its own right! Is there a set of scales that shows pounds/ounces? or do you weigh in ounces and mentally convert to pounds ounces?
The Korum ones weight in Lbs (decimal), Lbs/Ozs, Ozs, and Kgs ...plus give temp in 'c and 'f.
Just checked my Korums against my 15 years old Berkley scales at 4.8lbs and 9.6lbs (2 and 4 litres of milk, weighed on Salter kitchen scales)
Berkley : 4.8lbs and 9.7lbs
Korum : 4.8lbs and 9.6lbs
At that I'm happy with both. The advantage that the Korum scales have over the Berkley scales is that it arrives quite quickly at a "HOLD" weight, whereas the weight given by the Berkley scales tends to bounce around for a while (+/- 0.2) before stabilizing, and that's in the still-air of the kitchen.

Absolutely Love my didgys.
Had Avon’s for years and suffered with that horrible needle bounce for years until one day they stopped working.
Excellent set that went well over 25 years but like all things in life they had enough.
Got some RH9000’s now. They did play up one time telling me they were flat but since then they’ve been good as gold. This winter will be their first so I don’t want to sing their praises too highly yet. I’m not shoving them down my undercrackers either. If they can’t deal with the cold they are going in the bin because winter is my all time favorite fishing season. Gears gotta cope with it as I do 😊

Back