• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New reels - Okuma Aventa or Daiwa Emcast BR

Jim Mileman

I'm hopefully going to get a couple of the Daiwa Powermesh Barbel 2.75 rods soon, so perfect excuse to get some new reels to go with them. Currently using Shimano 6000 baitrunners and whilst there's nothing wrong I just fancy trying something different. Looking online both the Okuma Aventa baitfeeder and Daiwa Emcast BR look they would be suitable (I fish the middle and tidal Trent 90% of the time) Has anyone got any feedback on the reels or anything else I shiuld throw into the mix

Hi ,
i have the Daiwa Emcast Br ,nice reels,you wouldn’t go wrong with them.
I also have the Okum Inception 6000 ,cracking reels for the price.

Another vote for Okuma Inception 6000 - and not just for the price, they’re damn good reels regardless. I have some SS2600’s that are 3 times the price and the Okumas make them feel like slow retrieving, wobbly relics.

I also have sets of Daiwa Emblem 45’s (on the big side, I also had one lock up when the line guard dropped out of place when I was playing a decent Barbel at Gunthorpe Weir - good job I had a mate to help me sort it out!) Baitrunner 10000RB’s (decent enough but rear drag is fairly poor and they’re heavy), and the old 4500GT’s (will probably go forever but they’re nowhere near as smooth as a good modern reel).

I prefer the Okumas to all of them and now have 6.

Thanks for the replies. Agree with the comments on the Okuma Inc6000's as I actually have a set of these on my carp rods but wanted bait runners this time. Problem is the more I look at the alternatives the more I'm being drawn to Shimano OCs 😆

I have a pair of the Aventa Baitfeeders in 6000 size and swear by them.

Amazing reel for the money and I've played quite a few Barbel on them last year. Also great cranking power when retrieving heavy feeders in strong flow.

Bought to replace, and prefer them to, my Shimano Medium baitrunner XTC LC CI4's which cost me £260 each.

You won't be disappointed with the Okuma Aventas, they make the INC-6000 feel slightly agricultural.

those okuma inceptions weigh a tonne!

Just weighed a couple of my reels as I was sure they were lighter than anything else I am using.

Shimano baitrunner 10000RB 576g. (Only difference between 10000 and 6000 is the spool capacity and about 5 grams)
Daiwa Emblem 45 645g.
Okuma inc 6000 496g.
Sure I’ve weighed the old 4500GT baitrunners before too and they were over 500g.

You want some weight in a fishing reel. Shows it’s made of steel and not this light weight monkey metal they insist on installing in them 🤣

You might want to consider the Daiwa Emcast LT BR 4000 or 5000. They weigh around 300gr only, come with a spare spool and have 12kg of drag. Not that you would ever need that for any barbel of course :-D!
Plus they cost only slightly more than the Okumas. At least here in Germany.
Have tried All Okumas, Shimanos etc and have basically replaced my complete Set ups wit the Emcast BR in different sizes. Live the Okuma feeder reels and generally I agree they are fantastic reels for the money!

Only thing I dont like about the baitrunner type Okumas are those tiny Baitrunner latches or what you would call them

I have an Emcast BR LT in 5000 size and its a terrible reel for me, very plasticky and poor line lay, not a patch on the previous Emcast.

Thanks I've already ruled out the LT version of the Emcast as other than the above post I've never seen a good comment about it!

On my Emcast the air bail broke, it snapped. I am usually very careful so maybe I did something wrong. I got it repaired but never felt 100% with it. Now my Son has it for sea fishing.

Back