• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

new reel

+1 to what Jon Frisby recommends, (updated lighter D4000) although i'd maybe go with the 6000 version. speak to Steve Foran he's got the Thunnus 6000.
I switched to the Shimano Baitrunner XAero 4000FA 2 seasons ago on the recommendation of some of the best Barbel anglers in Dorset and so far am very impressed with every aspect of them, fantastic smooth clutch and good size spools.
Brilliant reels, check them out;)

I found the X-aero 4000 no good for bigger feeders on bigger rivers don't have the guts unfortunately.

I switched to the Shimano Baitrunner XAero 4000FA 2 seasons ago on the recommendation of some of the best Barbel anglers in Dorset and so far am very impressed with every aspect of them, fantastic smooth clutch and good size spools.
Brilliant reels, check them out;)

+1 brilliant, check out price at angling direct. I bought one when they first came out and a lot of anglers down here now use them.

+1 brilliant, check out price at angling direct. I bought one when they first came out and a lot of anglers down here now use them.

+2 although I haven’t been used mine for barbel, I’ve had three on my tench rods for three seasons now and they been flawless, and have coped fine with feeder fishing up to around 60 yards. The line lay is superb and with the exception of the baitrunner 3500bs the clutch is as good as anything I’ve used. I did have to find some single handles though to replace the double handles though..

+2 although I haven’t been used mine for barbel, I’ve had three on my tench rods for three seasons now and they been flawless, and have coped fine with feeder fishing up to around 60 yards. The line lay is superb and with the exception of the baitrunner 3500bs the clutch is as good as anything I’ve used. I did have to find some single handles though to replace the double handles though..
Can i ask Where did you get the single handles from ? Thanks

Can i ask Where did you get the single handles from ? Thanks
On Ebay Chris, cost about £10 each which hurt a bit, but I really don't like double handles. The cheapest way of doing is to probably to buy a used 2500 or 4000 ST RB, swap the handles and chuck it back on Ebay with the double handles on - you might even make a tiny profit if your lucky!

On Ebay Chris, cost about £10 each which hurt a bit, but I really don't like double handles. The cheapest way of doing is to probably to buy a used 2500 or 4000 ST RB, swap the handles and chuck it back on Ebay with the double handles on - you might even make a tiny profit if your lucky!
Thanks mate you wouldnt have a link would you ? Much appreciated

I have got the shimano thunnus 6000 and the 4000 they are a bit pricey but if you've only got a budget 200 go for a Shimano 4000D or 6000D they are just as good as the thunnus have a look on eBay

lan go on
eBay item number:
2 Shimano 4000d reels,both are brand new although one has been spooled with line
and re boxed neither have seen the bank. £185

Back